Just Clean Up When You're Done

"Where do we go now?" I asked Jack.

"Well, we don't live far from the school." He said, "Let's walk home. Your guitar is still at my house, right? We can play some tunes to get our mind off the asshole."

I nodded.

"We're going to be in so much trouble, later." I laughed.

"Yeah, but it was worth it." He said softly.

We finally made it back to Jack's house and headed upstairs to his room. We sat down on the floor, across from each other and started playing Ocean Avenue by Yellow Card. When we finished the song,  I looked up at Jack, "Can we go make a cake or something?" 

"Why?" He asked, setting his guitar down.

"I dunno. Bored." He helped me up and we went downstairs. 

He pulled out cake batter and told me all of the ingretients to get out. I pulled them all out and we started making the cake. Once the batter was all mixed, he preheated the oven. I stuck my finger into the batter and licked it.

"Maddy."

"What." I laughed, then stuck my finger in again.

"Maddy.."

"What." I said, then smeared in on his face.

"MADISON." He laughed, and wiped some on me.

We were both covered in chocolate cake mix, and I took a step and slipped, obviously on the batter all over the floor.

Before I could faceplant, Jack caught me awkwardly. He helped me up, and we were both laughing so hard, we almost started to cry. I looked up at him and for some reason, he just looked so adorable. With the cake all over his face. The tiny dimple in his left cheek. The way his eyes lit up when he laughed.

I realized our faces were only inches apart. It was silent for a minute until I noticed him slowly moving closer to me. I felt my hands start to shake, I've never kissed a boy before. Before I knew it, I felt his cake batter lips pressed up against mine.

I kissed him back, and ask awkward as it felt to kiss Jack, it also felt strangely right.

When he pulled away he looked down at me, with a small smile on his face, and I had no idea what to say. No idea.

The sound of the garage door opening broke the silence, and our stare.

"Shit." He mumbled, knowing his mom was home. We decided there was no use in trying to clean up.

She walked in and looked at us. "What the hell, Jack?"

"Sorry." He laughed.

She sighed, "Just clean up when you're done. And Hi Maddy."

"Hi Joyce." She walked away.

He looked down at me.

I couldn't wipe that silly grin off my face for the rest of the day.

We have never talked about the kiss, the guys didn't even know it happened. Me and Jack don't like each other or anything.. It was just in the moment.