My Home - Day 8

DAY EIGHT - TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR MY HOME!

Today I am grateful for my home. I own a very small home, there is nothing fancy about it, but it is mine. It is the first home that I have ever owned that I have made completely mine. Everywhere I look I see the things I love. Of course a house and the objects it contains are just things. But I am so grateful to be able to have a roof over my head and sleep in a comfortable bed at night; safe from the harshness of the world outdoors.

When I bought this property it had two houses on it and I chose to take the smaller of the two so that my son and his family could have the larger house. I had to get rid of about two-thirds of my belongings to be able to get into this house. I don't say that to look like the martyr, I say it because it was one of the most liberating things I have ever done in my life. I got rid of so many things that I thought I needed, things that I thought had meaning to me, so many things that were just weighing down my life. I live so simply now and I love it.

I never want to forget or take for granted how blessed I am to own my home, that I get to live next door to my son and his family. I do not want to take for granted the 11 acres that is my dirt. Growing up I never wanted to live in this town. We would drive through this town on our way to my grandparents ranch in Texas and I swore I would never live here, lol. The summers are brutally hot and we have almost now winter, but here is where I am and I am so grateful to be here and healthy. Tonight I will close my eyes under my roof and I will thank God for the blessings in my life. My home is where my children and grandchildren come to visit me, where they can come in and know that I am their safe harbor, their refuge in a crazy world. The old saying is true, home truly is where your heart is, and my heart is here in this house on this land with my children.

Today I am grateful for my home.