My Heritage - Day 22

DAY TWENTY-TWO - TODAY IM GRATEFUL FOR MY WESTERN HERITAGE

Today I am grateful for my western heritage. I grew up in a ranching family in the southwest United States. We spent our summers running barefoot, shooting stink bugs with our B.B. guns. We learned how to cut and stack wood so we would be warm in the winter. We raised and butchered our own beef and grew our own vegetables. Mama taught me to cook, sew, and appreciate the written word; while dad taught me to hunt, fish, work hard and be proud of our family name.

Here in the southwest our lives are sprinkled with the spices of a variety of different cultures. The Spanish Conquistadors, American Indians, Mexican immigrants and European settlers created a melting pot unlike anywhere else in the United States. My parent's families originally came from England and Scotland, but I was born and raised a New Mexican and the burning of Zozobra, green and red chilies, Indian fry bread, beans and tortillas are my heritage, they are what I am proud of, they are what I will be handing down to my kids and grandkids.

I am proud of where I come from, the land, the people, the history are all apart of who I am and helped me become the woman I am. I hope to pass all of this on to the next generations, so that they too, can feel that pride of family, of heritage.

Today I am grateful for my western heritage.