Homeschooling - Day 17

DAY SEVENTEEN - TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE ABILITY TO HOMESCHOOL MY CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN

Today I am grateful for the ability to homeschool my kids and grandkids. Homeschooling is not for the faint of heart. It is a huge commitment, but the payoff is worth every minute put into it. I am so grateful that as a mother I was afforded the opportunity to homeschool my children. I think it is part of the reason we are so close now.

I do not have a degree in teaching, but teaching has always come naturally to me. I have always had the knack of figuring out ways to get concepts across to kids in non traditional ways. I do have a degree in accounting and I am close to having a degree in English, but you truly do not need a degree to be able to teach your kids. All you need is the ability to read, write, understand basic math and the willingness to commit to the process.

Now, being able to teach my grandkids, I am even more grateful. My grandson has a bit of a learning delay. He takes a very long time to grasp new concepts and they have to be introduced in the simplest of terms. His sister on the other hand is learning on an exponential rate. I am afraid that if they were in the public school system they would both get lost in the shuffle. My grandson needs the extra time and patience to be able to learn and my granddaughter needs to be challenged at every turn. Homeschooling them, gives me the freedom to tailor each of their curriculums to their particular needs. One of the greatest joys I have had in my life is seeing the look on my children's and grandchildren's faces when they realize they have read their first word, there is nothing that can compare to that.

Today I am grateful for the ability to homeschool my kids and grandkids.