Impatient 🐱

Prompt: Mitch comes home from band practice, freshly and wholeheartedly confused. Emotions are hard?

Setting: AU Similar Personalities

Words: 863
•••••

I open my bedroom door quickly, sliding inside before clicking the door closed softly.

Leaning against the door, I breathe deeply.

Maybe for the first time in a solid 20 mins.

Sarah stares at me from the other side of the room.

"What? I can feel the silent judgement, you know?" I defend, a smile spreading across my face.

"I don't even know what to do with myself at this point. Who am I?" I laugh, chuckle even, pushing off the door and heading for the bean bag.

"He's too much, but I'm not giving in. The flirting is mutual, okay? We're best friends! Besides, I don't have to explain myself to anyone."

Sarah stays quiet.

"I mean, today was probably the cherry on top. Our relationship has been fucking weird, and we keep crossing blurred lines, but... why am I smiling? Freaking hell, I have to stop swearing so much." I grab a pillow, groaning as it collides with my face.

"I new I dert like hurm." My words come out smushed, but the red on my face needs to be masked somehow.

"But, like, even how we met," I hurl the pillow across the room, throwing my head back into the soft plush, "WE LITERALLY CLICKED THE FIRST DAY WE SPOKE. IT WAS FATE. WE HAVE MATCHING SWEATSHIRTS. ARE WE A COUPLE OR ARE WE A COUPLE?"

Sarah turns away, seemingly uninterested.

"And, the worst part is, I can't tell anyone else. I can't talk about it. Because, all of them liked him, too. Lo liked him first. And he liked her. She told me about it. I coached her through the 'I like you, too' talk. I was there and he doesn't even know it!" I sigh, analysing the striped pattern on my fuzzy socks.

"And then, he turned her down! But, with me..." My mind almost wanders off, back into imaginaryland where people like him and I could be alone.

"But, with me it's different, because we're best friends. But, what kind of best friend doesn't invite you to their house party? I mean, I get that we have different friends, but you invited your EX! Your attention whore of an ex! And you might ask why do you hate her so much Mitch well I'd answer that I do not hate her but in fact I wish for her to become less of a whore because she'd have more friends and less enemies that way and I only wish good upon those I'm opposed to."

I huff, halting my speech and glancing at Sarah. She turns around briefly, the silence an oddity between these four walls, then goes back to picking at my duvet.

"It's just– it's just the fact that I put him through so much this summer. And, yet, he's still here. He doesn't care that I'm two years younger. He trusts me. He tells me things he would never tell them. I know he wouldn't. I may have to squeeze it out of him, and I may have to text first a lot, but he's busier and more self-conscious and closed-off and anti-social... and that's okay. I want him to know that I love him no matter what, and that's the best way I can show it." I smile to myself, curling up on the chair.

"I mean, all the days we used to argue over silly things, even when we'd go days not talking, pretending that the other wasn't the only thing on our mind...in a friend way, of course... those days are over. I can't even tell you how many times he's said I love you in the past week. All the inside jokes we have now, and the fact that our music tastes overlap, and our personalities are scarily similar, and those 3am conversations, and his hugs. Oh my gosh, the way he hugs me is different than everyone else. It's like an embrace. Ugh, and he's always wearing soft shirts, and they all smell like him even though he doesn't smell like anything he just smells warm and soft and like my best friend. He just scoops me up and- and now that it's winter it's even better. He talks to me more in person, now. No more shy guy, and I love it. I've got him; I know I do. And, now this. Now he's bringing up– prom!"

Sarah leaps off of my bed, finally trotting over to me, settling at my feet.

"I said it'd be chill if we went as friends but now that I think about it... nevermind. I don't even know if my parents will let me go if he asks. They think something's going on anyways, but they know that I'm a target to his fan club already, and probably will say no in hopes of keeping me out of any catfight. And, if they say yes, I know no one there! I'd be... fuck, I'd actually be so easy to make friends with, these are just excuses, my gosh, I'll cut the bullshit; I'd have the time of my life."

The phrase slips past once again.

"I'd have the time of my life."

"And I've been home for twenty minutes and I saw him fourth minutes ago, yet I already miss him. I miss him– Sarah, should I text him?"

She meows softly, not making the slightest effort to lift her head.

"Good idea. It's been less than an hour. I can text him later."

Five seconds go by, and I know I can't last.

"I'll just snapchat him, really quickly."

•••••

Hi! Surprise! I'm not dead!

Haha, all jokes aside I am gravely sorry for leaving you all for a big, long month.

I've missed you. Hopefully at least someone missed me. You give me motivation to write.

My grades are down, my life's a mess, and I just couldn't find time to even think of anything except work and play.

I still don't really have time, but everyone should go against their schedule once in a while :)

I had, like, three other one-shots written in this month, but they're all low-quality and sad. You deserve better. Recently, I've begun to feel confusing things for this guy, so I decided I'd write about that. Confusing things, but happy things.

Favorite Season? How hot or cold is it where you live?

Very cold autumn day over here on the east coast. I've got my fuzzy socks on, but I love fall!