Angel [2] 👼🏻

Prompt: A little date, a little confession, a little reconciliation, a little reunion

Setting: AU Different Personalities

Words: 901
•••••

"Thanks for tonight, Ry. I really needed it." He gushes, our hands swinging back and forth between us as we walk down the boardwalk.

"Of course. Anything I can do to help." I smile at him, and he smiles back.

I know I had to ask him sometime. It's been a week now.

"Have you- have you talked to Scott yet?"

He immediately sighs.

"No. I mean, it's not everyday that you confess your feelings for your best friend and he turns you down." He comments sarcastically.

"Well, technically he didn't turn you down-"

"He just sat there with a stupid blank expression!"

"People need time to think! You, however, just marched out to get your ass fucked by the nearest human."

Mitch throws his head back in laughter.

"Yeah... Not my finest moment." His hand comes up to cover his lingering smile, and I reach my other hand over to remove it.

"Why cover such a beautiful smile?" I tilt my head towards him teasingly, and he draws a shocked breath, pausing.

"What?" He quickly shakes his head.

"Nothing, I just-" he squeezes my hand, "something he used to say to me. I appreciate the compliments, though. You shower me in them."

"Oh, Mitch, I'm sorry. I know I'm supposed to be making this easier for you..." I regretfully apologise.

"Ry, are you kidding? You're the reason I'm in public right now." I shrug him off, but he pulls my hand back, my body slings back towards his. He faces me.

"Seriously. You opened up your house to me. You've cooked me food, held me while I washed almost every shirt you own with my tears, and, most of all, stuck up for me. I would have never asked you to tell Scott to leave for me. You did that on your own. You're always so... nice. Nice and protective and sweet..." He trails off, gazing into my eyes.

"Mitch." I whisper, but it's too late. His eyes are closed and his lips are pressing against mine and I'm all in. He smells like hope and stability and feels like warmth and home, and suddenly it's too much. Suddenly I remember that he isn't mine.

I break away, starting at the ground. He swipes his thumb across my cheek.

"Ryden..."

"I'm not the one you want, Mitch." I confess, eyes not daring to see what his face looks like.

"Ry-"

"It's true. Isn't it?" I finally look at him, and my angel seemed to have lost his wings.

"But, I could learn to love you. I want to love you." He pleads desperately, and this is almost too painful to do, but the situation we're in would set us up for failure. I have to do what's best for him. For Mitch.

"I know." I lean in, kissing his forehead.

I can't believe what I'm about to do.

"C'mon," I step away, reaching out my hand, "I'll drive you to your house."

Mitch's eyes widen.

"N-No. Ry. Why, why would you do that?"

"Because, it's what's best for you," I sigh, "you love him. He clearly has some type of feelings for you. You'll work it out."

"And you?"

"I'll be here when the sex gets boring." I grin cheekily, succeeding in making the angel laugh once again. He takes my hand, but pulls me into a hug.

"Thank you." He mumbles into my neck.

"No problem, Angel."

•~•

"Mitch?"

Mitch begins to run up the driveway, a tall blonde stepping out of the doorway to greet him.

"Scott!" They collide, and it's pretty generic. Scott's probably whispering words of apology in Mitch's ear, and Mitch will forgive him, because that's what lovers do.

As long as he was happy.

Scott finally decides to look around Mitch and finds me, leaning back on my car.

"Is that Ryden?" The smile drops from his face.

Mitch seems to answer 'yes', because suddenly the tall, lanky, boy is storming towards me.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah-" I shuffle behind my car.

"Scott, stop!" He does, but he's still fuming, barely ten paces away.

"Ryden is a friend."

"He's fucking in love with you!"

"He knows!  We talked it out! We're cool! Told you he would be fine!" I rush out, still kinda hiding behind my car.

"Scott, he brought me here. I wanted to stay. He forced us to talk it out." He reaches Scott and places a hand on his shoulder, making Scott visually relax.

Wow. He must really love him.

"Kay." Scott huffs, already sliding a hand around Mitch's waist.

"Let go inside." He coaxes. Mitch turns around to face me, Scott rolling his eyes.

"Ry?"

"You know where to find me," I smile, "I wish you both the best."

"Thanks!" Scott butts in sarcastically, "get off my property."

Mitch hits him in the chest, walking over to me.

He falls into my embrace easily, and my stomach flips as I hold him tightly.

"You didn't have to do this." I whisper into his ear.

"Yeah," he pulls away, "but I wanted to."

He places a quick kiss to my cheek and walks back to Scott.

I wave as they disappear inside.

Climbing into my car, I ponder on my situation.

"So much for having someone to bring home for Easter dinner."

•••••

Any change in sides?

haha