Best Friend

Prompt: Scott and Mitch are fighting... But over what?

Setting: IRL

Words: 1190

•••••

"All my life
I've been running, running
and I'm on my way
All my life, I've been running..."

We finished our last notes and the crowd erupted in screams as we held our finishing pose. My face broke out into a smile I couldn't contain. I was beyond lucky to have this as my job. Esther gave us the signal and we orderly made our way off stage.

"Wooooo!" Kevin yelled, running past me while handing in his mic.

"I feel like I could do 10,000 cartwheels." Kirstie giggled as she handed in her mic too.

"It was a good show." Scott stated.

"Wow, don't be too excited." I commented. Scott has been in a mood for a couple days now, and I'm honestly over it.

"I said it was a good show. It was, wasn't it? No need to comment on everything." Scott said, harshly. My eyes widened as he softly pushed past me. Kirstie glanced at me, obviously confused.

"I'm right with you, sis," I started, falling in sync with her step, "I don't know what his deal is, but I'm way too hyped after that show to let it bother me."

"Agreed." Kirstie grinned. "You feel up to going out tonight? Maybe just to go explore Miami? I have these really cute heels that need to be broken in."

"Of course!" I exclaimed, "Maybe invite the rest of the band, Nicole, Esther, leave soggy towel in the hotel room?"

Kirstie roller her eyes at me. "No need to be rude, Mitchy. Scott's a moody person. If anyone would know that, it's you. You know he wouldn't act like this for no reason, right?"

"I mean, yeah, I know that. But, when I asked him what was wrong, twice, he just shrugged it off." I continued, " I mean, he- we tell each other everything. I just- he's not as see through as he used to be, and I don't know how to help."

Kirstie cooed. "Aw, Mitchy." She gave me a side hug. "You're really worked up about this, aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Just a bit." We laughed as we made our way into wardrobe. Kevin was lounging on the couch, Avi standing up next to him as they held a conversation. Esther and Nicole were talking in the corner, while Scott was looking in the fridge; earbuds in. Kirstie patted my arm before going over and attempting to talk to Scott.

"That show was rock and roll. Mitch, you absolutely blew me away with that note in 'No', as usual." Avi said enthusiastically as I entered the room. His comment brought a smile to my face as I playfully bowed, earning a laugh from the rest of the crew.

"Well, we could all stand here and talk about how wonderful I am. Or, we could go out on the town tonight and then talk about how wonderful I am?" I joked. Kevin rolled his eyes as he looked at Avi, waiting for his response.

"Yeah, going out sounds fun." Avi said. Esther and Nicole nodded in agreement.

"Sounds great! When are we leaving? I need to get some stuff done before we go." Kevin remarked, standing up.

"You always have stuff to get done Kevo. Loosen up." I coaxed, walking over to him and looping my arm in his.

Kevin sighed. "What time were you thinking?"

I bit my lip. "Eleven?" I asked hopefully.

"Eleven?" Kevin exclaimed. "Eleven. That gives me 15 minutes to call my family and my girl. How am I supposed to do that?"

"Talk less?" I joked, but from Kevin's face, I could tell this was important to him.

"Fine. 11:15 the latest. Good? Good." I patted Kevin's arm and stepped away from him.

"Everyone's good with going out at 11:15? Great." I clapped my hands together and left the room to find my phone. Walking down the hall, I remembered that I left it to charge in Scott and I's dressing room.

"There you are." I mumbled, picking up my phone and heading straight to Twitter. Unplugging my phone, I turned around only to meet eyes with the cloudy blue irises that had been avoiding me the entire day. Scott's mouth opened slightly, then he paused. Eyebrows furrowed, his blank expression turned into a frown. Casting his eyes to the ground, he waltzed in to grab his black leather jacket from the couch. It was discarded there from earlier when he had left in a rush, shortly after I had received a phone call from Drew. Scott had turned to leave the room when I had finally decided; enough was enough.

"Scott." I called. He stopped, but didn't turn to face me. I sighed, taking it upon myself to set my phone down and make my way over to the boy who seemed to get farther away the closer I came to him.

I softly closed the door -I didn't want him walking out on me- before turning around to face Scott.

"Scott." I repeated, reaching to grab his hand. He slowly pulled it away and tucked it safely into his front pocket, still avoiding my eyes.

My face contorted; I'm not going to say that didn't sting a little. Affection is our thing, and it's usually him that initiates it. Something was really wrong, and I had a sickening feeling that this was my fault.

"Please, Scotty. Every word you've said to me today was negative. I want to know what's wrong." I tried again, still staring up at him.

Scott's face wasn't stone, no matter how hard he seems to be fighting the emotion. His body language screamed of indecision.

"Silence- silence is only going to drive a deeper wedge between us then the actual problem, Scott." I whispered, taking his face into my hands and forcing him to look at me. Upon meeting my eyes, his face burned bright red as he carefully grabbed my wrists and put my hands to my sides. He didn't let go, just stared at where our arms met.

Sighing, he bit his lip and stepped away from me. My wrists were cold.

"Mitch..." He trailed off, running his fingers through his hair.

"I- The first leg of the tour is ending. It's ending and we're going home soon. We'll move, and then get Wyatt, and- and everything will go back to normal. I just think that we could use some time apart, you know? Some space."

I stepped back in shock. "You aren't making much sense. Space? Scott, you're 10 years late. We don't need time apart, if anything we need time together. You've been acting all distant for two days now and I'm over it. Whatever I did, I'm sorry. It won't happen again." Scott's face dropped.

Shit, I made it worse.

"That's the problem." He whispered. "I know it won't."

"Scott, please." I desperately reached out for him, but he was already gone. Groaning, I threw my body on the couch.

I'm convinced I just made things a lot worse between us. I am going to need a lot of alcohol tonight.