Kings of the World 🎆

Prompt: Scott and Mitch run away for New Years.

Setting: IRL

Words: 1975
•••••

"Can we, like, can we go do something?" Scott asks, walking into the living room. I'm lounging on the couch, my computer warming my lap. Wyatt was nuzzling my feet, and I flex my toes to ward him off.

"I would rather die than do anything with you." I mumble in reply. Scott laughed.

"Stop, I'm being serious." He wines, walking up behind me and draping his arms over my shoulders. He kisses my ear and asks,

"What're you doing?"

"Browsing." I click on a black sweater with bold white print. Price? $3,103.

Affordable.

"Mitch."

"What?" I turn around, and almost jump back when I see him so close to my face.

"Let's run away."

"Fucking- Scott, go take a nap or something." I retort, turning back to my Mac.

"No! Seriously, I wanna go to those coves we found on the way from San Fran to here. For New Years." Scott sits across from me.

I think about my plans. Kirstie was having a party tonight, but I'm sure she'd be okay with us not making an appearance. But, for what? A set of cliffs over an ocean? It sounds like a lot of work, and Scott would probably make me climb something. I sigh.

"Will I have to climb anything?"

"Not much! Only to get the best view!" Scott defends.

I wince in thought. "Ugh, I'm gonna regret this..."

"Is that a yes?!" Scott practically jumps on me.

"Hey, hey, hey! Watch the laptop, Tigger!" I shout, almost pushing him off the couch as he laughs and stands up, kissing my forehead in the process in gratitude.

"Thank you!" He cheeses.

"Yeah, whatever." I dismiss him.

I sighed as I added the item to my cart. Well, tonight should be fun.

•~•

We slammed the car doors shut in sync, Scott walking to the trunk to retrieve his 'surprises'.

It's probably wine and a blanket.

And maybe a surprise snack or two.

I walk out to the ledge.

"Wow." I breathe. It truly was a beautiful sight. The sun was setting over the horizon, only providing enough sunlight to keep a comfortable temperature. The wind slightly picks up, and I inhale the sweet, fresh air that mingled with the salty, harsh air from the ocean. Waves crashing into the ledges below us immediately provokes a smile on my face.

This is where I want to be. I don't know why I ever doubted it.

Scott came up behind me with the comforter tucked underneath on arm, basket in the other.

"You okay?" He asks with a smile, knowing very well he way right.

I scoff. "Don't tease me, mister. Yes, okay, you were right and I love it. Happy?"

"Only when I'm with you." He replies cheekily, walking towards the ledge.

Why did that comment leave me flustered?