Best Friend [3]

Prompt: Scott and Mitch are fighting... But over what? (Third part! Scott's POV)

Setting: IRL after a concert in Miami

Words: 906
•••••

"Oh Scott..." Esther cooed as she stepped towards me and wrapped her slender arms around my waist. Tears were falling freely from my eyes now, and even though this was embarrassing, I wouldn't have broken down in front of anybody else. and Esther step away for a brief moment to close the door. She checked her watch.

11:10

"Scott, look at me, please?" Esther tried.

"Are you going?" I asked softly.

"Going? Out tonight with the rest of the band? I mean, I have to. We need some time off... You included." She answered with a kind smile. I met her eyes.

"I don't think I can go. He probably hates me now. I should be the one hating him, except I can't. I can't, because..."

"Because you love him?" She finished. I stayed silent.

Love is a big word.

Mitch is my best friend.

I love Mitch, I know I do, but do I love Mitch?

"How do I even know? How do I tell the difference between the love I feel now and the love that I felt before?"

"Well," she paused to cup my face in her hands, "I think it's the same love. It just took a game changer, say, a kiss, to open your eyes to see it." She placed a small kiss on my cheek as she moved to leave the room.

"Best of luck to you and your psyche. Remember, you don't have to loose everything you already have if you fix it before it's broken." Giving one last smile, she left the room, the door left ajar. I used my palms to wipe my cheeks free of tear stains.

I still can't believe I cried.

••

Two hours later, and here I was. In my hotel room, my only company being a bottle of wine and Rilakkuma. Beyoncé was on shuffle, quietly playing from my phone.

I poured myself another glass. I just stopped thinking about him, and he always seems to come back.

You love him.

I don't! I don't even know what love is. I don't even know what it feels like.

You still love him.

I can't! He's my best friend. What about Pentatonix? This would mess up everything. Superfruit? No one wants to watch us drool over each other for an entire episode. It just wouldn't work.

You know that you love him.

I was too invested in my internal argument that I missed the quiet knock on the door.

"Scott?" A small voice rang from the other side of the door.

"Yeah?" I said, a little confused that he didn't just come in.

"Hey, can you open the door?"

"No. It's open." I chuckled. Mitch could be so slow sometimes.

"Scott, this is a hotel. Doors lock automatically. Open the door."

I grumbled a few explicits on the way to the door. I swear he wants me to do everything for him. He already has my heart; what more can I give?

I opened the door to see him, dressed to party in his black 'aesthetiques' shirt and skin-tight black jeans.

Needless to say, he looked hot.

"Are you drinking?" Mitch blurted, focusing his attention on the half empty bottle in my hand.

"Yes. Good to see you too." I chuckled, making way for him to enter the room.

"I left the party early for this." He mumbled.

"Okay! Scott, we're gonna talk about this right now. You're drinking without me, alone in a hotel room, while the people you love most are out clubbing." Mitch sat down on the the edge of my King size and crossed his arms. I smiled, and closed the door. Walking towards him, he never broke eye contact, and neither did I.

I stopped when I was toe-to-toe with him, or rather ankle-to-toe, because Mitch was small and his feet barely brushed the floor. Mitch looked up at me, looking rather impatient that I hadn't made an effort to continue the conversation.

His face was just so pleasing to look at.

"Why did you kiss me?" I mused, the wine making my mind a little fuzzy.

Mitch's face automatically contorted in confusion. "Scott, I've never kissed you. Can't you just tell me what's wrong-"

"No," I cut in, "no. You kissed me. I feel a bit light, and a bit scattered, but you kissed me, and no amount of-" I burped. Mitch looked repulsed. "-wine is going to change that."

Mitch rolled his eyes. "Okay Scott. When did I 'kiss' you?"

I began pacing. "This past Tuesday! You kissed me and you called me your- your best friend," I spat, "you called me your best friend after you kissed me! Do you have any idea how much that fucked me up?" I harshly set the bottle down on the desk. The room was silent, aside from my heavy breathing. The sound of the bed creaking was soon followed by the carpet beneath Mitch's small feet. I kept my back turned to him.

"Do you have any idea how I feel about you? Because-" I swallowed, fighting the influence of the alcohol and my anger simultaneously. Mitch placed a hesitant hand on my shoulder.

"Because, Mitchy, I don't even know."

•••••

(A/N) okay I'm gonna end it there yikes yikes yikes