Take Care ⌛️

Prompt from @thegirlin_purple : "Could you do one where maybe they're younger and Mitch is having a panic attack and the only way he can stop himself from closing up is if Scott is there."
Mitch- 11
Scott- 12

Setting: Past, Same Personalities

Words: 813
•••••

"Where is he?" Scott asked immediately after the door was opened.

"He hasn't left the bathroom..."

Scott pushed past Allen's mom and headed straight for the bathroom.

"Which one?" He yelled.

"Upstairs!"

Scott sprinted up the stairs to the shut door, his heart pounding.

He knocked softly on the door.

"Mitchy? It's me. Hey, it's me, Scott."

Silence.

"Can I open the door, Mitchy?"

Still no reply, except a singular sob rang out from inside.

"Oh, Mitchy, no. I'm coming in, okay?"

Scott opened the door carefully to see Mitch pressed up against the corner bathtub and the left wall, grabbing onto the shower curtain desperately as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"Mitchy, it's me." Scott's heart broke, but he knew what to do. He got down on one knee, keeping his distance to avoid scaring the boy any more.

"Hey, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

Mitch's eyes flew open in response.

"Scott." His tired throat whimpered out.

"Yeah, yeah, it's Scott. It's me." Mitch's grip had now been transferred to Scott's shirt.

"Everything sounds echoey." Mitch cries out, eyes wide and glued to the floor.

"It's just because you're scared, Mitchy. You're okay." Scott placed one hand on Mitch's back.

"Scott, I messed up. I failed."

"You want to talk about it?"

"I fell and everyone saw. Everyone laughed, Scott-" Mitch began to hyperventilate, and Scott simply moved his hand up and down his back.

"Breathe, it's okay. I'm here."

Scott lifted Mitch's trembling free hand to the boy's own chest.

"You need to slow it down. The oxygen in your body will get too much, and then you'll get dizzy." Scott pressed Mitch's hand down, referring to Mitch's heart.

Mitch breathing stuttered, but Scott could tell he was trying to take deep breaths. He let out another sob, and Scott scooted closer.

"I'm here. Allen's mom called your mom. I won't leave you."

"Don't. Leave."

"I won't leave. I'm staying right here until you tell me that you're here."

Mitch finally began to regain his composure, his breathing still ragged, but closer to normal.

"You're in a bathroom with me at Allen's house. It's a really sunny day outside. You know, I would've gone outside earlier today, but we were driving back from the lake. I bet you missed me. I think you did, because I'm awesome."

Mitch let out a small, breathy laugh through his tears, and Scott smiled at his success.

"We had fun at the lake. Lauren made me try out tubing, and I fell off. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but they had to turn the boat around to get me. I had my life vest on, though, so I wouldn't have drowned. They served really good food at the restaurants we went to. I tried frog legs for the first time, and they were fried! I thought it would be gross, but it wasn't. Mom let me try some of her Angus burger, and they put this weird sauce on it that makes your mouth tingly. It was hotter up there, in temperature. I had my sunglasses on the entire time."

"What color?" Mitch sniffled.

"Were my sunglasses? Blue. Razor blue, I think the package said. It sounded cool. I'll show you next time you come to my house."

Scott paused temporarily, looking at Mitch, who was momentarily pulling his knees closer to his chest and looking right back at Scott, his breath evened.

"Are you excited for the talent show? I am. I heard Alexa is going to tap dance. Remember when she did that routine in front of the class? She's really good, or at least I think so. There's this other guy who's planning to sing Ice Ice Baby."

Mitch really laughed at this, and Scott knew that he had done his job.

"That's stupid."

"I know. Are you here?"

"Yeah."

Scott grinned, standing up and stretching a hand down to Mitch. Mitch shakily grabbed his hand to help himself up.

"Thank you, Scotty." Mitch pulled Scott into a warm hug, and the other boy returned the gesture, holding him close for a while.

"No problem. You know I'd even give up my rarest Pokémon card for you."

"Ew." Mitch laughed, and Scott opened the bathroom door, seeing Mitch's mom waiting down the hallway.

"Mitchell!" Nel ran up to her son, embracing him tightly.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get here faster," She pulled back, brushing his cheeks with her thumbs, "are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay," Mitch turned around to look at Scott.

"He took care of me."
•••••

just found Last Man Standing on nexflix and fairly enjoying it so far.

What's your favourite PTX album and why?