Standing By ✈️

Prompt: Remember how Mitch said he wanted to move to New York? Well, this is what I imagined would happen.

Setting: IRL (scomiche is not real)

Words: 714
•••••

"Hey."

I sigh happily. "Hey yourself."

"Trouble sleeping?"

"Yeah."

I stare out the window, the expanse of New York City stretched before me. I'd been sitting on this windowsill for about an hour before I decided to call Scott.

"Are- are you okay?"

I bit my lip. Something about the tenderness in his voice made me break. A tear slides down my cheek, but I keep my breath steady.

"Yeah."

I quickly wipe another away with my sweater sleeve- his sweater sleeve- and mute the phone to take a breath.

"You're not okay. Mitch, what's wrong?" His concern makes me weaker.

"Stop." I croak.

"Stop? Stop what? Mitch-"

"I'm fine! I'm fine. I just-" I take a deep breath, "I miss you. A lot."

Scott sighs. "I miss you too, Mitchy."

"No," Mitch wines, "You don't understand! Over here it's cold and I have no one to cuddle with and Candice is in Hawaii so I'm really alone and everything is too expensive so my bank account is shrinking exponentially and I'm not any more successful than I was when I came here and it's so big, Scott. It's such a big city and I get lost and confused and it's not fun without you here."

Mitch's tears quickly stream down his face and it's a miracle that he held out for this long. Everything Scott was saying like static in the back of his head as he whimpers, making Scott's heart ache with every sound.

"I just want to go home." Mitch tiredly whispers.

"Come home." Scott demands through the phone.

"I can't." Mitch rests his head on the windowsill.

"Then I'll come there. I'll be there by morning." There was shuffling.

"Scott? How the hell would you do that? I- You- You have work. Candice won't let you sleep in her bed. Plus, tickets are expensive." Mitch feels like he was grasping at straws. Scott was just too much.

"I'll take a day off. We've never had a problem sleeping in the same bed. Also, I'm nowhere near poor, and you know that.You don't want me to come?"

"I do! Scott, you can't move your life around for me..."

"Watch me. I'll be there before morning, beautiful. Stay strong for one more night, okay?"

"You're absolutely insane."

"I'm okay with that."

Mitch laughs and sniffles. "I love you."

"I love you more."

"Doubt it."

•~•

Scott slides his hand along Mitch's back, coaxing him to rest. Mitch curls into his body and snuggles into his chest. Scott smiles from above.

"How long has it been since you've slept?"

"Since I've slept well? Probably the last time we fell asleep on call together." Mitch says, a little embarrassed. He uses Scott's chest as a distraction, tracing a light finger over the areas where he knew Scott got firmer.

"Mitchy..."

"I know, I know." Mitch looks back up at Scott.

"You should just move back." Scott suggests softly, his voice already raspy from the late flight.

"I can't," Mitch whispers, "I can't give up on my dream yet. Not just because I'm afraid of a little alone time."

"Then- then, what if I moved here?"

There was a pause, and then Mitch smacks Scott on the bicep.

"Ow! What the fuck?"

"Stop moving your life around for me! I'm fine!" Mitch grumbles annoyedly, and turns over to face the wall.

"Mitch-"

"Go to sleep, Scott. You've had a long flight." Mitch deadpans.

Scott frowns, but abides anyway by shutting his eyes.

A few minutes go by before the sheets rustle.

"I'm stupid. You had a long flight here at 3am for me, and what do I do? Throw a fit. This is why I'm single." Mitch turns back over and hugs Scott tightly by the waist.

"It's okay." Scott laughs. "You actually reminded me of my sisters. I'll have to give Lauren a call when we wake up."

"I just, I hate the fact that you're so selfless and I'm so selfish. There's literally no way I can pay you back for this."

Scott shushes him. "How about you start by getting a good night's sleep?"

"It's 10am."

"Good morning's sleep. Whatever. Just close your eyes." Mitch obeys, because he's too tired to argue, and Scott resumes his comforting strokes along Mitch's hip.

"I'm here."