Clicked 🌈

collar W CantSleepMitch 

Prompt from PTX-Soprano: refer to the media

Setting: AU Different Personalities

Words: 557
•••••

"Alright, what can I get you sir?"

"I prefer Miss, and I'll have an iced latte, please." Michelle grinned at the waiter.

"You look like a mister to me, sir." The barista joked, although nothing about the situation was funny.

"I'm genderfluid. So, it's Miss. Thank you."

"You're what?" She asked again, as if she'd never heard the term.

"Genderfluid. I'm genderfluid." Michelle smiled politely.

"What, you weren't happy with the way you were born, so you just change your gender?"

"Yes?"

"Why can't these kids just live their lives normally?" She mumbled, "Listen, honey. You were born male, and it's not a return deal. You can't just wake up and decide. To be frank, it's quite annoying. Next customer." 

"No! Please," Michelle pleaded, desperate to explain her situation to the woman, "I didn't mean to cause any trouble...I've just been this way for almost nine years. So, please, it's Miss."

The barista remained emotionless. "So, that's why you're wearing makeup? Men don't wear makeup. If you were supposed to be a woman, you would have come out that way."

Michelle was completely speechless at this point. She swallowed nervously and asked for her coffee once again.

"Sorry." She began with a petty smile, "We don't serve faggots. Next customer, please. Ma'am."

Tears started to well up in Michelle's eyes as she walked away from the counter, headed for the bathroom.

She let out a shaky breath and brushed the short hair out of her eyes. Why can't people just be accepting?

"Why did I have to open my mouth?" She mumbled regretfully, "Why couldn't I have just settled for sir?"

"Hey! You, um, Miss?"

Michelle turned towards the voice to the right of her. The tall blonde male smiled at her from behind the second counter.

"Um, hi. I'm Scott, I overheard your conversation with Sarah..."

"Oh, that was nothing, it's just- I'm a little emotional today." She tried to laugh it off.

"No, no, I'm- I'm totally on your side. I- I just wanted to say that you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." Scott pulled a napkin out from the napkin holder and held it out to Michelle.

"You don't mean that." She disregarded, dabbing her eyes while trying her best not to smudge the already fading eyeliner.

"I do. Because, it's true. And, it sucks that people think it's okay to treat you like that. Maybe I can make up for Sarah's wrongs if you'd let me take you out sometime?" Scott smiled a pretty smile once again.

She blushed, both shocked and flattered over Scott's abrupt proposal.

"O-Okay."

Scott smiled at her response, and scribbled his number on another napkin. Michelle took it, and carefully folded up the napkin and put it in her purse.

"I'll call you soon." She said, and he nodded in approval. Michelle continued to the bathroom, a small smile on her face.

••

Scott turned out to be amazing. They had so much in common, their love for Beyoncé, passion for music, pet peeves.

They just, clicked.

People always say that something good comes out of something bad; so maybe this was it. Maybe Scott is Michelle's light in the hallway. And, maybe this will turn into something amazing.
•••••

thank you my chy for writing most of this. sorry I changed the ending. guilty as charged.

yesterday was Easter, and my heart is full of love!

what does everyone believe in? Or, for some, not believe in?