Chapter 78: Tell me the truth...

Note:
This chapter contains vulgar language. Be prepared!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once that was completely cleared out Jeff turned towards you, the hatred was distinctly evident in his eyes, yet you were unsure whether the cause was you or the monochrome clown. You expected him to speak, to 'lecture' you about the whole event and how it was probably your fault that it had happened.

But, as if he knew you were expecting that, he didn't.

Instead, he kept glaring at you. Kept looking you up and down as if he was trying to find words... As if he was trying to explain what had happened... As if he was trying to come up with a good lie to disguise the fact that you had yet again been attacked by another killer.

Who desperately wanted you dead.

Without even thinking of the right words to say, keeping in mind his dawdling anger, you boldly spoke:

"What is going on? Why did he attack me?" You saw how Jeff's lidless orbs seemed to shine, how a small light was apparent in his eyes. He didn't look away, he merely kept staring straight into your own eyes as he said:

"He didn't. It was a joke. Drop it."

You hadn't questioned Jeff about the first attack, the one where you got dragged out of the room... Merely because you had no time. You were too engulfed into your own feelings, too engulfed into your thoughts to question this mansion and all its habitants. Too engulfed in Jeff's weird behavior and display of emotions that it had slipped your mind and you had lost the opportunity to ask.

Maybe you were a little too scared to question it, as well.

But this time you weren't satisfied with a lousy answer like this. Jack had clearly told Jeff that you would die one way or another, indicating that those two attacks had indeed been planned, just as you suspected. Those attacks were meant to be, with you as their target.

Portraying the attack as merely a joke was the understatement of the year. There was no way he could convince you now, not after what Laughing Jack had told you himself. It took those exact words to make you realize that you, instead of a mere inconvenience they'd rather see go, was now clearly a target.

'They want you dead.'

The feeling of fear and shock of the second attack was crawling back down into the ground, leaving you completely empty of all other emotions. The words still had to seep in a little more, the words still needed to dawn upon your mind. You had thought of every possible reason why they'd want you dead right in that moment, when Laughing Jack was so close to ending you, but could not find one.

Were you so blinded by your desperation to get your friends? So blinded that you were unable to notice that you had made a number of severe enemies? Were you so engulfed into your own doom, your own pity that you didn't see them slashing at you?

Or was is really something new?

Whatever it would be, you could never figure this out on your own. Especially since Jeff kept his jaws locked tightly together. You took a quick glance at the smiley killer, wondering what was going on in his mind.

Yet you couldn't come up with anything that came close.

It had always been the same story... He was unreadable.

He had protected you twice now... Twice from these... 'arranged' attacks. For what reason whatsoever? What was he trying to hide from you? What was it that he did not want you to know and rather get his own life on the line than explaining?