Chapter 40: Sandy, my friend

Note:

This chapter contains vulgar language, Be prepared!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sandy..." You whispered lowly once you had let go of her, still holding her hand in yours. It felt good to really touch her. It felt good to really feel her. You didn't want to let go, no, you couldn't let go. Each time afraid that once your skin didn't touch hers, she would suddenly disappear into thin air. Nothing would surprise you in this mansion.

"Sandy... What happened to you?" It was the only question you could ask. You knew that you had to be a little more specific, you wanted to know exactly from the beginning what she had gone through, but you just didn't know how to ask it.

"What happened to me?" She stared into your eyes as if she couldn't believe what you had just said, as if she didn't understand. She gave you this look... That look that told you she had gone through the same as you had. But you knew that was false. You had a privilege to live with Jeff, while she...

"In your house, when they took you." You quickly decided to add. You wanted to know everything about her situation before she knew anything about yours. She didn't need to know that, you did.

Sandy gave a low hum when you spoke of that damned situation. That day when she had been taken from her own home. No trace or evidence left of what had happened to her. Only an empty bed and an eerie feeling of disgust, as her mother had told the police.

"In my house..." She whispered softly, her gaze avoiding yours as she turned her head to the side. She seemed to stare at nothing on the wall, reliving the whole ordeal over and over again in her head. You began to regret asking, but your curiosity took over.

"I was lying in bed." She eventually began after minutes of silence. You didn't know whether to interrupt her, apologizing for asking such a heavy question or to wait. You were glad you did the latter. You slowly sat up a little, giving her your full attention.

"I was feeling pretty damn sick you know? I had no idea whether it was from everything we've been gone through or whether it was from..." She didn't continue. You both knew that it was because of all that had happened to you. There was no other explanation.

"My father of course was off to work while my mother... Well she was off to the mall, buying the ingredients for my favour-..." You saw how the tears slowly started to form in her eyes again. It was because of her mom. She was thinking about her family. By the thought of your own family you could burst into tears...

"It was then he came...It wasn't even dark yet." She continued to stare at the wall, while you only stared back at her. You wanted to know more but you knew you had to give her some time. Talking about it wasn't as easy as people might think.

You of all people should know that best.

"I heard a tune... One that I had heard many times as a kid. But it came out of nowhere." She now did look up, straight into your eyes while the tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. She was checking whether you would believe her or not.

Of course you did.

You immediately knew what tune she was talking about. You had heard it several times in your sleep. In the one world where you thought the killers were unable to come, the one world where you had thought you would be safe... But even there the cold hearted murderers ruined your life.

"I jumped up immediately; somehow it didn't soothe me like it did when I was a kid. It was a chilling version of the tune, one that was dark and full of resentment. The tune was..." Before she could even finish her sentence you had already opened your own mouth, whispering breathlessly: