Vampires Aren't Real Chapter 1

*Time skip to 17 years*

Encre's P.O.V

I followed the dirt trail to the nearby village. My cottage not long away from the small stream that ran beside it to the crops of the neighboring cottage. Before entering the small markets I patted down my shirt and walked into the crowds. 

"Bonjour." (Hello)

I waved to people as they past me. I knew English but I rather speak French if I didn't need to speak the other tongue. 

A hand patted my shoulder and when I turned around I saw the Kings solider staring down at me apon his steed, "The King has sent orders for you to speak to him."

I was confused, "Le Roi?" (The King?)

The Soldier nodded, "Yes the King."

I held onto a sketchbook, "Maintenant?" (Now?)

He nodded once again before suddenly grabbing my wrist and heaving me on his horse. I sat behind him and put my sketchbook between us both. I didn't even have enough time before he let the steed take off in great speed. I almost flew from the back until he took hold of my hand and made me wrap my arms around him. 

It didn't take long before we arrived at the grand doors to the castle. I slid off the rear of the horse and entered going down a long hallway full of the Kings pictures. I was soon met by the throne room and in it sat both the King and his son.

I curtsied,  "Mon Roi." (My King)

The king waved his hand in the air, "I would like to ask a favor from you."

I nodded, "Bien sur." (Of course)

"I want you to paint a remarkable painting for my Son's birthday. And not just any old painting. Something that everyone will remember. And in return I shall give you a room in this castle. You may be called my royal painter but know that not everyone here speaks French."

I nodded once more, "oui" (yes)

The King waved his hand at me in dismissal, "That'll be all."

I curtsied and left the throne room to be met with a maid. She took me to my new room within the castle, it was on the west wing. As I walked in the room the maid left and shut the door behind me. I sat on the edge of the bed and let my gaze travel throughout the room. The walls were a navy blue and there was plush pink carpeting below. A canvas was in the corner of the room with a wooden oak stool beside it. The dresser was white with golden outlining the edges.

The King wanted a remarkable painting but what am I suppose to do? I placed my fingers on the necklace around my neck, the charm held my mothers ashes. When I was young I was told that my mother got caught in a fire at our old cottage but when they went to find her she was gone. My father worked in the Kings army and I've sent many letter but I had gotten none in return. I laid back in the bed and let our a long sigh.

What am I suppose to paint? I know how to paint a beautiful sky with some nice echo flowers but would that be enough to please the king and the prince? 

My mind wondered from thought to thought in effort to imagine a painting that would bring sparks to everyone's eye.

Lost in my own mind I failed to hear the knocking at my door until it grew louder. This time I didn't speak French, "Come in."

The door opened and a tall boy around my age walked in closing the door behind him. He wore nice, fancy clothing but nothing as royal and heavy as the King's. he brushed the hair atop of his head and let out a cough, "I heard we had a new arrival. The Royal Painter as my father has told me."

I stood up from my bed and curtsied, "Yes I am."

The prince shook his head, "There's no need to curtsy or be formal around me. I am about the same age as you and so I should be treated as equally as you, at least in my belief."

I thought this over but decided not to go against his word, "Okay."

He smiled, "My name is Asriel, whats yours?"

I smiled back, "My name is Encre."

The prince got on one knees and took my hand in his, "Encre, what a lovely name that is." He placed a gentle kiss on the top of my hand, which made me blush.

Once he stood back up I regained back to my normal emotions. He was taller than me by a long run but everyone was. Asriel was still smiling at me, "Why don't you go through the village for some ideas if you like, but don't go through the woods especially during the night."

I tilted my head in interest, "Do people go in the woods often?"

Asriel thought for a moment, "Nobody has ever set a foot in those woods. It was told there is a castle deep within the tree's but nobody has survived to tell the tale." He waved his fingers in the air as if he were trying to spook me.

I was deeply interested with these woods, "And why has nobody survived?"

Asriel crossed his arms and straightened out a bit, "The vampires."

I couldn't help myself but I started to laugh, "Vampires aren't real."

The prince looked at me as if he'd been shot, "Do you think I'm lying?"

I smiled, "No, I think your just speaking nonsense."

The tall prince huffed, "I speak nothing but truth. Just say you won't go into those woods."

I thought about it for a few seconds, "Well...I can't promise anything."

Asriel put his hands on my shoulders, "Please don't go into those woods. Bad things will happen and I'd have no power to stop them."

I looked up at him, "Stop who?"

He sighed, "The Vampires."

I gave Asriel a thumbs up, "Right, the Vampires."

Asriel slid his hands from my shoulders and shook his head, "If you set foot in those woods you'll regret it." 

Before I could answer he was already out the door and closed it. I was left alone in my new room. I sat back on the bed and kept having images of what the forbidden woods would looks like. I know the Prince told me not to go in but what if this was the inspiration I was looking for? What if that castle could be my painting? I smiled, tomorrow before it gets dark I'll go into the woods and paint a few simple things I find.

I planned the day tomorrow. My most curiosity came from the night. What happens during night when someone was in the woods? I've heard there's wolves and other predators but they're likely to leave someone alone if they don't pose a threat, which I won't.

I laid back and onto the plush pillows. I'm going to the woods tomorrow until it grows dark. Once dark I'll head back to the Castle. And just in case I'll bring a candle and some matches. 

Soon I curled into the bedding and fell asleep thinking one thing.

There's no such thing as Vampires 

-Hoi, this chapter came out longer than I thought buuuuut I wanted to say I'm not only going to update this story often but I'm also updating my other story Inks Nightmare. So what I'm trying to say is I'm not stopping my Inks Nightmare story if anyone is wondering. I'm still going to publish chapters. Other than that see you guys in the next Chapter. Byeeee-