Part 65; Hold On

Chanyeol stares at his sent text from the previous two days. If I text again, will I come off as too much? Why haven't he message me back? It's been two days. Chanyeol nibbles his lower lip trying to craft the prefect text after being left on sent. Did I do something wrong? Was it before I didn't tuck you in bed? TT He hesitantly presses send and shuts off his phone looking around his house to find something to distract himself.

***

After the presentation, an intern flips on the light switch before quickly returning to his seat in the back. Baekhyun's team sat in the front, interns in the back while Min and the Chief of Surgery, Chief of the Medical Team, Chief of Emergency Medicine, and Medical Director observed from the level above.

"Is there any questions?" Baekhyun asks looking up from his clipboard.

Hands shot into the air all from the interns and medical students. Baekhyun points to an intern in the front of the group. "How long do you predict this surgery will last? Will you plan to having another doctor or chief to me switching shifts with you? And will your team be rotating as well? And will interns participate in this surgery?"

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow surprised at her list of question. "An Aortic Dissection can last from five to ten hours. Of course there is also many factors that can come to play that may influence how long the surgery takes such as the patient's age, medical history, how our team performs, there can also be the possibility of infection, things like that. And I do not plan on having a second doctor to be switching shifts with me-"

"Are you that confident?" The Chief of Medical Team suddenly interrupts him. All eyes turn to the balcony of the second floor. Everyone gasps in shock unaware of their presence.

"Do you doubt me?" Baekhyun asks not faded by his question. The Chief of the Medical team smirks.

"Of course, there is alway more to learn and the more the years of experience the better, but with the mentorship from Dr. Kim, Chief of Surgery, and my mentor in America who was the Medical Director, yes, I am confident. If a chief wants to supervise, you are more than welcome to, but that is my patient therefore my team and I will be handling it." Baekhyun turns to the rest of the audience, "That leads me to her next question, along with me, my team will also not be rotating shifts unless absolutely necessary." His teams nods in agreement knowing this is how Baekhyun always run his surgeries.

"And why is that?" The Chief of Emergency Medicine asks. Mins sighs quietly, they're all purposely coming for him...be patient Baekhyun.

"Again, with all due respect, the patient is my patient. My team and I will be taking care of the patient as needed. Teamwork is always important but I prefer to care of my patient exclusively with my team only. And that is because, I will know everything that happens and goes on with my patient and be responsible for it. Others who wants to be involve, may not understand how I run my team and how my teams runs and may cause something that could've have been prevented to happen." Baekhyun turns back to the interns. "And for this surgery, I will not be permitting interns and medical students to partake in." They fell silent terrified with the seriousness in Baekhyun's voice.

"Isn't this what they are here for?" Baekhyun turns to look at the Chief of the Medical Team. "I think that this will be a great opportunity for the interns to learn the seriousness and work that are necessary to successfully complete a procedure. I also think that it will be a great opportunity for you to have a few interns to lead. I heard you're quite popular with them for rejecting at requests to be you intern. Don't you think so?" He turns to look at the Medical Director and Chief of Surgery.

The Medical Director turns to look at Mr. Kim, Chief of Surgery, as if to ask him to speak first. Mr. Kim locks eye with Baekhyun, "I think that while that is a great idea, Dr. Byun shall have the final say for what will be best to serve the needs of his patient." Min exhales, finally someone siding with Byun. The Medical Director laughs, "Well, it is true that the patient is your patient but I think that it will be a great challenge for you to have interns helping you out in the surgery room."