Part 38; Home

Baekhyun tilts his head up staring at the towering skyscrapers that reflected off the taxi's windows. A smile appears at his lips in reminisce of his childhood memories.

Food stalls were crowded by workers who had stop for a quick snack after lunch. It had been forever since he's eaten the vast varieties of street snacks.

An elderly grandmother with a red apron tied around on her waist tended the food stall by herself. Wrinkles appeared at the corner of her eyes as she hands fish cakes to a young couple. She smiled warmly at then.

Baekhyun couldn't help but smile as well. Food here was made by heart and with care. There was nothing like food from the heart of Korea but again, there was nothing like homemade food from his mother. His smile loosens at the thought of his mother.

All sorts of worrisome questions clouded his mind about his mother, father, and Jade. A sense of guilt rises in him. He constantly blamed and hated himself for his selfish decision but he just wanted to make them proud.

Baekhyun holds his breath as they near the street of his parent's house. Nervousness filled his veins as the car slows stood in front of the big house that stood proudly. The house that he had bought his parent but he'd only visited once, to buy it. He couldn't even stay in Seoul long enough to help his parents move in.

He inhales shakily with his heart quickly beating in his chest.

The driver looks up and Baekhyun from the rear view mirror. "We're here Mr. Byun."

Baekhyun looks at him nervously, "I'm aware, its just.."

"Its been a long time haven't it? I'm sure your parents will be glad to see you." The elder man assures him.

Baekhyun exhales before giving him a small smile. He exits the car and takes his luggage from the driver.

"Thank you Mr. Lee." Baekhyun bows respectfully to the elder men.

Mr. Lee smiles, "No problem. Have a nice day and welcome home Mr. Byun." Baekhyun smiles and watches him leave.

Mr. Lee was one of the many who had help assisted him in studying abroad.

Baekhyun turns to look at the house again. There was a bit more car in the driveway than usual. were they having guests over? He lets another shaky breath out. "Right..Welcome home Baekhyun." He mutters to himself before proceeding to the front door.

He took out his key and finally found a dull gold key. He smiles.

"Dear my loving son,

Here's a spare key for you for when you feel like coming home. You're always welcomed to return anytime, even when it gets hard,okay? We love and miss you dearly, quickly come home soon! I miss you dearly. I'm so proud of you Baekhyun. Stay safe and healthy my son.

Sincerely, Your loving mother"

The memory of the letter he had received from his mother years ago flashed in his mind. He had held on to the key for years as a reminder of coming home safely to his mother. Just as he promised, here he was.

Baekhyun gently unlocks the door. There was a little click before releasing, letting Baekhyun in.

He peeks inside. Silence. All those cars- They're home...right?

Baekhyun lifts his luggage inside the house and locks the door. He leaves the luggage by the door before wandering further.

The living room was big and spacious. It was cozily decorated with a soft tan-colored carpet with a very comfortable looking sofa. A wide flat screen t.v. against the wall. A table in the middle of the room with a vase of flowers.