Chapter 7: A talk with Blake

(Ruby's POV)

I wake up, gasping for air. Yet again, I had another dream..that same dream. I look over to Yang and Blake's bed. They're still there, so that means it's probably like 1 or 2 right now.

I stand up and slip on my red cardigan.

"Ruby..? Where are..you going?" I hear someone say softly behind me.

I turn around and see Blake, yawning and sitting up on her elbow.

"Oh..I'm just going to get some water," I respond.

She blinks a few times and yawns again.

"Can I come with you?" She asks, sitting up and stretching.

"Sure," the left corner of my mouth rises.

She stands up, covering the blanket over her.

"Oh..Um.. could you..turn around?" She asks.

"Hm? Oh, yeah," I reply, folding my arms in my shirt and turning around to face the door.

After 2 minutes, she taps on my shoulders. I turn.

"I'm ready," She says.

We exit the bedroom and walk down the hall.

"What woke you up?" She asks, looking over at me.

"The nightmare I keep having.." I respond.

"Oh.."

We arrive at a water dispenser with a stack of plastic, white cups beside it. We grab a cup.

"You first," Blake offers.

I place my cup underneath the lever and pull the lever forward. Clear, fresh water spews out of the faucet. I let go of the lever and back away for Blake. She repeats the same process as I sip the water.

"Do you want to walk around for a bit as we drink our water?" She asks.

I nod. We begin walking down a hall. As we're walking, Blake asks me a question.

"Hey, what happened last night?"

"Oh, did Yang not tell you?" I ask.

"No," She says looking over at me.

"That little.." she mumbles.

"Oh, well. Me, Jaune, Nora, and Ren all went to a restaurant together. It was fun!" I smile.

I shouldn't tell her what happened between me and Jaune afterwards.

"Why did Jaune come home with red, puffy eyes? Was he crying?" She asks, concerned.

Shoot.

"What? N-no.. not that I recall.." I lie.

"Ruby..I know when you're lying," She says, looking over at me with a pissed face.

My eyes widen and I look back down at the ground. I sigh.

"Well.." I pause.

"Well what?" She says, mad. "Ruby, you got to tell me these things. I'm your friend," She says.

"After..the dinner.. we all went to the park that was right by the restaurant.." I say. She continues looking at me.

"Jaune looked kind of..sad..so I asked him what was wrong at he..well..he got mad at sort of yelled at me then ran off.. I was kind of sad so I went over to the swings. I was looking over Jaune when Nora and Ren came up and talked with him. Ren patted his shoulder and they left..then..then..I heard Jaune...crying," I pause.

Blake's expression changed dramatically from pissed and concerned to worried and sad.

"I went over to him and comforted him..and he lifted his head.." My throat was starting to dry up and a lump developed in the center. My eyes began watering. I quickly rubbed them with my index finger.

"I saw his eyes, full of tears and his cheeks were red... then he said..he said.. he missed Pyrrha. I immediately broke into tears. I understood his pain. I hugged him and he cried onto my shoulder.." I say.

"Blake...I'm worried and scared for Jaune..." I say, my voice shaky.

"Ruby..be strong. I feel you..I'm worried for Jaune too..but we have to stay strong okay?" She said, trying to cheer me up.

I look over at her and smile, with eyes full of water. A single tear streams down my cheek. I hug her tightly and she stops walking. I begin crying and hiccing.

"I will.. I'll try.." I say, still smiling.

(Jaune's POV)

I rub my watery eyes and lean my back against the wall. I slide down, my hands on my face

I heard everything Ruby and Blake had said.

I feel so bad.. why'd I have to be a jerk to her.. now they're worried and scared for me.. they don't need to.. that'll just cause them more stress during class periods.. god.. why am I so unlucky?!

I don't want to see Ruby cry anymore..I hate seeing her cry..

Maybe..

Maybe if I had just..disappeared from everyone's life.. no-one would have to be worried for me.. I wouldn't see Ruby cry anymore..

...

..yeah..she wouldn't have to worry for me.. no-one would..