Chapter 5: Ruby's Laugh

(Jaune's POV)

It's been about 15-20 minutes, and yet, Ruby hasn't arrived. Maybe they're still on their way..?

I dont know, but i'm a bit worried.

I stand up and look through the restaurant window. I try searching for Nora and Ren, but can't find them.

Suddenly, i hear a buzzing sort of noise behind me. I turn around a see Yang and..Ruby..?

"Hey Jaune!" Yang waves. Ruby peers around Yang's shoulder and smiles. I wave back.

"Hey!" I reply.

Ruby gets off of her motorcycle and i'm surprised with a black short dress and white belt tied around her waist. My cheeks burn a bit.

"Well, you two have fun!~" She smirks and drives away. Ruby glares at her as she drives away. I chuckle quietly. She looks over at me and sighs.

"I know, I know. This doesn't look good on me. I intentionally didn't want to wear this.. but Yang forced me, and i had nothing else to wear," She says as she rubs the back of her neck, sighing.

I stare at her.

"What? No, Ruby, i don't care what you look like. I actually think you look good," I smile.

She looks up at me and her eyes widen and cheeks turn a small shade of red.

"Thanks," She smiles warmly.

"No problem. Uh- Should we go in? Nora and Ren already found a table," I stutter.

"Sure," She smiles and walks ahead of me. She enters the Restaurant and I follow her. She and I look around for Nora and Ren.

"I think i see them!" Ruby says, pointing at a table. I focus on the people, and they do look like Nora and Ren.

"Sweet, come on!" I say, walking ahead of her. She follows and we arrive at the table.

Nora turns around and stares at Ruby in awe.

"Oh my god, RUBY! YOU LOOK SO CUTE!" Nora screams.

"Nora, quiet down!" Ren yells, but not too loud.

"Oh, sorry!" She smiles.

Ruby smiles. "Thanks Nora!" She says gladly. I sit down next to Ren and she sits down next to Nora.

"So, howve ya been?" Nora asks Ruby.

"I guess, good.." She says more gloomingly.

Nora wraps her arm around her.

"Cheer up, okay? I understand its a difficult time right now.." Nora says, pulling her in for a hug.

"I'll try, Nora. Thanks.." I notice Ruby fakes a smile. I stare at her then down as she turns back straight.

"We had to say the same to Jaune," Ren says. I look over at him.

"Oh really?" She says.

"Yup, We're all in dark times right now, but as long as we all brighten our spirits, it'll be like nothing happened!" Nora says as she smiles.

"I'd like to think that, but i can't forget that moment.." Ruby muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" Nora asks.

"Oh, nothing!" She smiles.

I understood what she said, i'm not sure about the others though.

A waitress walks up to the table.

"Hello! How may i help you? Starting with drinks!" She smiles.

"Ruby?" I say.

"Just a water," She replies.

"Pepsi!" Nora says.

"Water," Ren says.

"Okay, so three waters and one pepsi," Jaune tells the waitress.

"Okay, is that all?" She asks.

"Yes," Jaune smiles.

"Okay! We'll be back with your drinks shortly!" She smiles as she walks off. I turn back to the table and take short glances at Ruby.

I look into her eyes and her eyes.. just give me.. a weird feeling.. like there's no..emotion in her eyes.

She notices i've been staring at her and i quickly look down and fiddle with my fingers.

She looks at me and then i hear cackling. I look up at her and notice she laughing.

"W-What? D-Did i do something?" I stutter.

"What is that?!" She yells, laughing and pointing at my hoodie.

I look down and realize the bunny printed onto my hoodie.

"Oh.." I say.

She continues cracking up.

I stare at her. I was embarrassed, but her laughing was the best thing that could happen. I'm glad she can still laugh.

"Whew," She finishes laughing and wipes her eyes from her joyful tears.

Nora looks over at Ruby and laughs. Ren just stays quiet and looks at me. I can tell he's trying not to laugh.

I sigh and smile a little. It's good to know Ruby can still laugh.