A House But Not a Home

~Mandy

His house was a mansion. I am not even joking. Adrian lived in a mansion.

"You live here?!"  I asked.

"Ya. Unfortunately."

I blinked staring dumbly at him.

"It's just that... I hate living here."

I stared at him more. Urging him to continue because I had no idea what to say. I was slightly upset that he could take living in a mansion for granted.

He sighed and sat down on a couch nearby. "My parents died when I was three. I barely knew them. My uncle took over the mansion and all of my dads property until I'm old enough to manage it myself as he sees fit. Only problem is, my uncle will never hand me over the rights to anything that rightfully belongs to me. He has passed me off as crazy to the judges, and unfit to hold onto any of the property or bussiness that my dad ran."

"Your kidding" I said, sitting down beside him.

"If only... This is where I live yes, but it isn't my home. I don't have a home. Sometimes I fear that I never will." He looks so sad and miserable that my heart brakes for him.

"Home... Adrian... Home isn't always where you live. Sometimes it can be where you feel most comfortable. Like my home is right next to... to ..."

"Mandy?"  He looks at me in a very concerned manner as I close my eyes and try to think of what I was about to say. What was I about to say? It was on the tip of my tongue. It was right there. Right....there.

"Neko."

"What?"

"Neko. Neko. Neko. I remember. I remember. Neko. Neko. Neko.  Wake up. I need to wake up. NEKO!" I closed my eyes and shouted until I felt hands on my shoulders.

"Mandy are you ok? What's wrong? Why are you shouting about a cat?"

"Ha!" I shout. "How did you know he was a cat!" I point an accusing finger at him.

"What do you mean Mandy?" He looks genuinely confused.

"How did you know that I was talking about a cat?"

"Mandy.... Neko is Japanese for cat. I assumed you knew that sense you were yelling it. I apologize for confusing you."

Oh right....

"Oh... no I'm sorry. I did know that I just forgot.... Uhm... where am I?"

"At my house? Did you hit your head when I crashed into you on the street? Maybe I should take you to the hospital..."

"NO! Please no more needles."

"Mandy! What are you talking about?" He looked like he was about to shake me. He was genuinely concerened. Maybe he really didn't have any idea that this was a deam. Was he created that way?

I decided to go along with the dream. I didn't want to concern him anymore than necessary. That, and I wasn't sure what would happen if I threw down with a dream person.

"I'm sorry. Forget about it. Please."

"Are you sure?" He brushed a strand of hair out of my face. It took immense amounts of will power to not slap his hand away. Neko. Remember Neko. Remember this is a dream. Remember.

"Positive."

"Well, ok.... Do you want something to eat?" I nodded and he grabbed my hand, leading me toward a door off to the right.

Why was I still in this dream state. You wake up when you realize you're dreaming, right? So why was I still dreaming.