New Home

Mom helped me find the old stuff that we used for Garth when he was alive. Garth was dad's favorite cat. Kiken enjoyed the plush bed even though it was covered in dust. He didn't, on the other hand, enjoy the blue collar I snapped around his neck. I thought it matched his eyes.

Mom told me to wait for her to break the news to dad before I showed him Kiken. I was perfectly fine with that, actually. 

Kiken took to following me all over the house after that. I would notice him constantly trying to get the collar off, but to no avail. I think he actually enjoyed laying on my bed with me as I read. Or maybe he just enjoyed getting his ears scratched from time to time after I turned a page. 

Either way, I enjoyed it. I loved my little cat. I loved my books and I loved my parents. Life was perfect right now. 

Dad instantly took a liking to Kiken. He actually wanted Kiken to stay in his and mom's room, which of course I said no to. I saw dad sneak more thank a couple pieces of bacon to him during dinner that night. So obviously Kiken liked him. I don't really think he knew what to think of my mom yet. 

That night Kiken slept in his dusty, plush bed. I watched him before I fell asleep, thinking how precious it was that he was mine now. I tried not to think of the random men I had stolen him from. maybe they were going to sell him to a Chinese Buffet? 

Either way, he was happier here, with me. This was his new home now, and it would be for a very long time. 

~

I remembered my dream that night. Clear as day, yet foggy all at the same time. Piercing, kind blue eyes. A smirk that could make a girl faint. A black tail that could put any cats to shame, and a feeling... A feeling like... like. The thought was incomprehensible to my unconscious mind. And in the morning, I couldn't remember the feeling at all.