Ch. 2 - Candle Wax & Old Reminisces

« Jesse's Pov »

Walking down the torch lit halls with Petra at my left side, her hand rested casually on her the hilt of her sword. As we walked, our steps echoed against the chilled stone bricks and empty halls, the warm evening light traveled through the windows and kissed our skin, a pleasant feeling it was. I glanced to my closest comrade and advisor, Petra. I stole a quick side glance at her figure. The mixture of orange and yellow evening light reflected on her made her glow angelically.

I gripped my suspender gently as I faced forward again. She gazed out the windows as we walked. Something troubled her as it was written all over her sullen expression and I was eager to find out what it was.

"Is something troubling you?"

An audible gasp left her lips, as her head shot in my direction. That bamboozled look plastered on her face, I've come to recognise it well, it's the venerable expression she wears around The Order when she's unsure about a mission. Oh, how I've grown to love that expression of hers, the way her brows ever so slightly furrow, the way she lightly bites her lips.

We both came to a halt, her gorgeous dark brown eyes stared into mine, and I held her gaze. I stood there, Petra didn't say anything and neither did I. There was nothing to say anyway, I know you Petra, and there's nothing you need to worry about. I promised you I'll always be at your side no matter what.

A light, refreshing breeze blew in from the outside. Strands of her lovely, bright orange hair blew over her face, obstructing her vision. I fought the urge to stretch forth my hand and gently pull her hair behind her ears.

'Stop Jesse . . . she'll think it's weird. Now's not the right time!'

Looking out the window and onto Beacontown, a soft smile appeared on my lips. This place we've built, The Order worked so hard to keep here safe. My friends worked so hard to keep our town safe, but most importantly, Petra was with me, which made the journey a whole lot sweeter.

"Beautiful, isn't it? Beacontown I mean." I nonchalantly whispered in her ears, scooting closer to her. Petra didn't take her eyes off the town as she replied, "Got that Right. It always looks amazing at the last light of day."

This route we usually take allows us to not only be secluded from the rest of the guards, but grant us a breathtaking view of the West district in Beacontown at sunset. It always looks like I'm staring at a city of gold, and most importantly, I get to share these moments with you, Petra.

The sun was set on the horizon as night slowly crept in. The last golden rays were soon to fade away as the cool of the night crept in. I couldn't hold back anymore, I gently moved my hand over Petra's forehead, sweeping the strands of stubborn hair away from her eyes. "Here, if you leave your bangs in front your eyes like that, you won't be able to see me. We can't have that can we?" I held her gaze. I may be shorter than her but that won't prevent me from being the boss . . . not that height mattered anyway . . .

I held both my hands behind my back and tilted my head to one side like a little boy, pushing myself up on my toes in her direction. I playfully impersonated a little disappointed boy's voice, "Oh how ever will you be able to protect your prince if you can't see him? I'll be very sad if you weren't ever able to see my smile everyday."

My redhead stood a step back, shuffling in her clothes, clearly uncomfortable, "Oh yeah? Well . . . You're stupid looking. Please be serious!" Dispute her outburst, her delicate fingers upon her forehead where my touch lingered, "Stop goofing around, we need to prepare for tomorrow." In a moment, I felt a sudden sting, my little redhead flicked my forehead with her other hand.