Chapter Twenty-nine

I haven't talked to Bryan in two weeks, and honestly, I feel great. I hated how he's always acting like my dad, instead of my friend. The sort of relationship I had with Bryce was none of his damn business. Anyways, he's ignoring me as well.

Today happened to be my 18th birthday, and I was going out to celebrate with my friends. I decided to host my birthday at a karaoke and grill place downtown. I didn't invite Bryce because I just want to spend this day with my lady friends. And yes, Bryce and I are now official.

I was in the washroom doing my hair and makeup, when my phone rang signalling I got a text message. It was from Bryce.

Bryce: happy birthday beautiful

Me: aww thanks <3

Me: sorry I didn't invite you today, it's a girls night :/

Bryce: don't worry about it, I got something planned for us. Make sure you're free around 4 tomorrow ;)

Me: Alright, see you then :)

Bryce: be safe

Ending our conversation there, I continued to do my makeup. I picked out this cute blue and purple romper that I'm going to wear tonight, with a pair of low heels.

Nikki was supposed to give me a ride to the place. She still thinks that the card she found in my room it's just a prank from the neighbour's kids. I would like it to keep it that way. I don't want her getting hurt or even killed because of me, because of her knowing too much. We haven't brought it up in a conversation since that day.

She texted me that she's on her way, so I go downstairs to the kitchen to wait. The doorbell rings. I make my way to the door thinking it was Nikki here to pick me up. I grab my purse and put on my shoes and make my way to the door. I opened it and instead of my friend, it was Mr. Fox. I smile at him, and we have a little chitchat on catching up since I haven't seen him in a while.

He hands me a whole bunch of envelopes, probably house bills, and a tiny package. I thank him then shut the door. I looked at the package and saw that it was addressed to me. And said it was my special someone. This special someone could be a lot of people. It could be Bryce, Bryan, the killer. I decided not to open it until after my party.

Just in time, Nikki pulls up at my driveway. I meet her at her car and get into the passenger seat.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALI!" She shouts when I shut the car door.

"MY EARS!" I yell back.

She responds with an apology.

"So how does it feel to be the big 18?" She asks.

"No different than yesterday," I sarcastically replied.

We continued bickering all the way to the karaoke place. Once we got there, I was greeted by all my other friends shouting happy birthday. I felt happy being surrounded by the ones I love that have been with me all throughout my school years.

We sang, ate some pizza and cake, open presents...

Well, I was the only one who opened the presents...

Nikki ended up driving all of us girls to our individual homes.

We talked about how the night was a success, And listen to old throwback tunes on the radio.

I was the last one dropped off. She helped me unload all the gifts that I have received from the trunk, and into my house.

After we said our goodbyes, I locked the front door and headed upstairs to my room.

I'll just deal with the gifts tomorrow morning.

My parents were gone for the weekend on a business trip, so I'm home alone for two days. They promised to make it up to me and celebrate my birthday again when they come back.

I got upstairs and just passed out because of how tired I was.

________

I took my time waking up the next day and making myself breakfast. An omelet with melted cheddar cheese and a nice glass of orange juice is the way to go.

I finish up my breakfast and wash the dishes before I head to the gifts that I left in my living room from last night. I take all of them upstairs, including the box Mr. Fox gave me yesterday in the mail.

I reached over to open the small, brown box. I was hesitant, not really sure who it's from or what's inside.

Finally, I tear the tape that around the box to open it. Inside was a folded piece of paper.

It read, "happy birthday my sweet Alison."

That's all it said; no name indicating who's it from.

Under the piece of paper was a smaller red box, with a darker red bow tied around it.

My heart is beating rapidly right now, and I feel threatened to be home alone at this moment.

I finally had the courage to open the box, hands shaking. Inside the box was a picture of me sleeping... in my bedroom.

----------
Hello, lovelies,

Please to make sure to check out a short story I've written a long time ago, but finally published. It's called "the Dream."

Thank you to all the readers that have been with me through day one, and the new readers who give me love and support <3

Till next time,

Valentina.

Question: who do you think the killer is?