Chapter Thirty-two

Alison's POV 

"Bryan, what the hell are you doing here?" I ask annoyed.

Bryce is going to be here any minute now and I don't want him to see Bryan and get the wrong impression. 

"I just came to wish you a happy birthday and to see you," he replied. 

"You can't just show up to my house like this, uninvited! I have things to do, a life. Last time we talked you called me a bitch! What makes you think I want to talk to you ever again, huh?" I spat.

He looks taken back with my words and takes a step back off my front porch. " I-I came to apologize Alison. I know my words were hurtful and I regretted every single part of it. You don't understand how shitty I felt, I still do." His voice starts to crack, on the verge of tears, "I care about you so much, Alison, so so much, and I don't want to lose you. Please," he begs. 

Bryce's car pulls up in the driveway. 

"I can't do this right now Bryan." I turn around and shut the front door and made sure to lock it before walking around Bryan to pass him. 

He reaches to grasp my arm ever so gently. I turn back to look at him, as he looks back at me, heartbroken

"I got this for you." He hands me a small gift box. 

"Bryan you didn't have to, I don't want it," I say back. 

He is still holding onto my arm. 

"It's your birthday. I always get you something on your birthday." He responds gently. 

I take the box from him and slip it into my purse. "thanks," I said. 

He finally lets go of my arm, and I turn around to keep walking to Bryce's car. 

I open the passenger's door and am greeted with a concerned face, "Is everything okay Alison?" Bryce asks. 

"Yes, he was just leaving," I say as I shut the car door. 

As soon as I turn to face Bryce, he pulls me in for a kiss. 

his lips are so warm, inviting. And I can't get enough of them. 

He pulls away, "happy birthday beautiful." 

His breath smells like peppermint and vanilla. 

"thank you," I replied blushing. I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot Bryan was still standing at my door. He saw us kiss. 

I look up through the car window, and a stone-cold face is reciprocated back. Bryan watches us pull out of the driveway and onto wherever Bryce is taking me. I watch him slowly disappear from my side-view mirror as we drive away. 

I can't help but think that I was a little too harsh. He did apologize. Should I have forgiven him?  

I'm quickly distracted from my thoughts as I hear Bryce's smooth voice, "How are you today beautiful?" 

Well I got this picture of me sleeping and I am terrified- "I'm doing good, and even better now that I'm with you," I say instead, smiling at him. 

He smirks back and takes my hand to kiss the back of my palm. "I'm glad you said that because my day also got twenty times better with you here," he replies winking at me. I start to blush. 

"You should keep your eyes on the road or you'll kill the both of us!" I jokingly say. 

"Oh and miss seeing your cute face, plus I don't mind dying with you and spending eternity together," he jokes back. "I don't know about you, but I'd love to continue living my life," I sarcastically said. We laugh it off. 

He turns on the radio and Harry Styles is playing on the radio. "Ugh, I love this song! " I squeal. "It has a good beat to it," he replies. 

He has good taste in music, excellent. 

We continue to listen to the song in silence, as he rests his hand on my leg while the other is on the steering wheel. I don't know, but something about that seems very hot... 

He breaks the silence, "what did that kid want from you?" I turn to him, "who? Bryan?" I let out a chuckle that he called him a kid, but he doesn't seem amused. "He just came by to drop off a birthday gift for me."

"What did he get you?" He asks. His tone and energy changed all of a sudden as if he is upset or angry with me. "I don't know, I haven't opened it yet," I reply wearily. 

"Are you going to?" His tone is almost hostile. "Well yeah, it's a gift, that what you're supposed to do with gifts..?" I say confused about why he's asking all these questions. 

Perhaps he's jealous... That thought made me smile. 

"Bryce, don't worry about him, he's just a friend. You are the only guy I care about romantically." 

What seems like forever, he finally responds, "I trust you love. I'm sorry for intruding on your friendship. Friends are very important to have." 

I squeeze his hand in reassurance and give him a small smile. He smiles back. 

We then face the road and wait till we get to our destination. 

________________________________________

Hey, 

I know, it's been a while. Life has been tough for everyone, especially for the past year. I thought I could give a little back to try to cheer you guys up during these times. It took a lot of motivation to finally write again, but I'm glad I did. 

Thanks so much for the endless support. I love reading your comments, some are quite funny. 

I hope everyone's being safe and healthy. 

I wish you all the best. 

- Valentina 

Q: Do you think Bryce's intentions with Alison are pure/good? 

Please check out my short story "The Dream."