Chapter Fourteen

Alison's POV

I woke up the next morning with a killer headache. I went downstairs and swallowed two aspirins.

That was some night, I thought to myself. Bryan is really pissed at me. Like really pissed. Nikki was right about him liking me. I guess I was just blinded by our friendship to think about anything more.

I was just about to go back upstairs to get some more sleep when the doorbell rang.

"Honey can you answer the door," my mom yelled from her room.

I walk up to the door opening it. I was greeted by the mailman.

"Hello, Alison."

Yes, the mailman knows my name, since I was just 6 years old. I used to wait for him to come by every morning to see if I got a package. He used to buy me little toys and wraps them up pretending they were from a secret admirer, and I believed that; until I was old enough to know he was buying the toys.

"Hello Mr. Fox, wonderful weather we're having," I say.

"Yes, yes it is," he responded, smiling.

He pulls out a package wrapped with brown paper.

"I promise it's not from me this time," he jokes.

One time when I was younger around 8 or 9, I caught him wrapping up the package for me. So I knew he was the one buying me all of those gifts. I truly did love this old man. He was like a second father to me.

We've had him over for dinner, multiple times; he's a family friend.

"Thank you," I responded taking the small box from his extended hand.

"Well have a good day Alison," he tipped his hat and turned around to leave the driveway.

I shut the door and headed to my room with the package still in my hand.

It couldn't be the cool lamp I ordered from Ebay, the box was too small.

"Alison who was at the door?" Mom asks from the next room.

"It was just Mr. Fox," I reply.

I shut the door to my room and sat on my bed.

The box was light, almost like nothing was in it. I reached for my scissors on my desk to cut open the tape. I opened the box to see pieces of confetti. I poured it on my bed. At the bottom was a folded piece of paper. I opened it up and read it, and I wish I didn't.

I need to get out, get out of this house right now.

I'm panicking, I don't know what to do.