Chapter Twenty-six

I ran down the stairs quietly, and into the kitchen. I grabbed another kitchen knife, because I accidentally left the other one in Bryan's room, and headed to the front. I slowly tiptoed to the door, my heart racing. Now, there's banging on the door.

"Mom, are you in there. I forgot my keys again and I'm locked out," the voice says on the other side of the door. I recognize the voice. It was Bryan!

I unlocked the door as fast as I can and swung it open. Bryan was standing there with his hands casually in his pockets, confused because he was expecting his mom instead.

"Oh thank God," I said as I dropped the knife to the side and practically jumped on him. He stumbled back not expecting that either, but still wrapped his arms around me.

He was the first to break the hug. "Alison, what are you doing here?" He questions.

I looked up at him and got furious like a switch has been turned on. "Where were you?" Purposely emphasizing you. "I have been texting and calling you all day! I also got excused from school and took a long ass city bus to see if you were okay! And I found this note," I reached into my pocket to show him, "under your fricken pillow, and I started panicking I thought the killer got to you and possibly ki-" Bryan interrupted me, putting his hands on my shoulders, "Alison take a deep breath."

Until then, I didn't realize I was holding my breath in. So I did what he said and exhaled, then inhaled again.

"Good," he says, "I'm fine Ali, nothing got to me."

Tears threatened to break loose, and I let them. I started sobbing and covering my face with my hands. Bryan pulled me closer into a comfortable, warm hug.

"Maybe I should come in," Bryan spoke up. I looked up from his chest and realized we were still standing by the door, half outside.

This time I was the first to let go. I quickly wiped away the tear stains on my now rosy cheeks as I stepped aside and let Bryan come in.

"You know the door was unlocked, right?" I ask Bryan.

He rolls his eyes, "of course it was."

I sat down on the living room couch, as he got me a glass of water. I drank half the glass and placed the cup on the white coffee table across from me. Bryan turned to me, "let me see the note." It was still in my hand when I pulled it out to show him. I gave it to him. He read it over and over again. His hand fisted beside me on the couch.

"They were in the house," my voice coming out raspy, "no one's safe anymore. Bryan where were you today?" I asked again.

He crumpled up the piece of paper and looked at me, "I was running some errands for my mom."

"Okay," I say looking unsure, "couldn't you at least pick up your phone when I was calling ?"

He pulls out his phone from his pocket, "dead," he says.

I guess that explains why he wasn't answering.

"Hey Bryan," I just remembered something to ask him, "what did Nikki tell you about the neighbour's prank on me the other day?"

He looked me straight in the eyes, "Ali I know it wasn't a prank. I'm not as stupid as Nikki."

My heart started beating rapidly, "oh my God, Bryan, I'm so scared," my eyes are watering again.

He gently placed a hand on mine, "it's going to be okay Ali, I have a plan."

________

Question: Do you guys like or hate school? 

I have a love-hate relationship with school.