WM25 Repentance July 15, 2017

Club Members:
Hissince2013
Jesus_Freaks_Unite
CupCakeQueen11
LiaDanielle
katjalouw
lhurvely_girl
apostolic_girl_7603
iJesusFreak
ApostolicWriter15
Astrither
GamingHumor
HolyTruthOfGod
CertifiedApostolic
nosidamrenrut123
sweetsoul_16
_startingnew_
ChristianImpact
JlcollinsRocket
lovesavedme
jmm7867

The Favored and the Damned

And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.
1 Samuel 4:18 KJV

And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord . And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
2 Samuel 12:13 KJV

These are the stories of two men, Eli and David, who both did immoral, wicked things. Eli fell off a wall. David lost his son in the womb, but was ultimately forgiven.

One died, the other didn't.

Why?

More importantly, as we have to face our own mistakes and failures on a regular basis, what was the secret David had? What was that thing Eli lacked that ended in his death, and David that ended in forgiveness? And when we mess up, how can we know if God will consider us an Eli or a David?

Let's look at each of them, and the mistakes they made.

Eli
Eli was the high priest of the temple. He definitely had some anointing; when a barren woman named Hannah was praying for children at the temple, Eli told her it would happen, and she soonafter had a son!

But Eli allowed his sons to do evil things. They were disrespectful in the temple. They stole and desecrated people's meat offerings to the Lord. They even had sex with the women who met outside the temple courts! He and his sons had little to no respect for God and the customs of His people.

David

If anyone was a God-fearing man, a righteous man, a servant of the Lord, it was David. David had anointing as a warrior to slay tens of thousands, even as a child. As a little boy he killed bears with empty hands and an annointing. He had anointing as a musician, too; when he played on the harp for a demon-possesed king Saul, the demons would have to flee!

After he took the throne for himself, he had many wives that pleased him. But his power consumed him, and when he saw a beautiful married woman named Bathsheba bathing on a rooftop, he took her into his castle and slept with her. When he realized he impregnated her, he tried to cover it up, eventually going so far as to order the death of her husband, one of his most faithful friends.