WM1 Purity December 3, 2016

My Thoughts

I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will not know wickedness.
Psalms 101:3‭-‬4 NKJV

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things.
Philippians 4:8 NKJV

Who you are is largely dependent on what is put in you. Science proves that children that are encouraged and supported and told that they are smart to do better in school than those who grow up with negative influences.

What is in you is made by the thoughts inside you. Susan D Reynolds, a doctor with a Ph.D. in developmental biology, says this:

"Your thoughts form your character, how you operate in the world, how far you travel mentally, physically, and spiritually. You are what you think you are, and all of your actions proceed from thought."

So, if your thoughts influence you, what influences your thoughts?

Well.. Your thoughts are just everything YOU think, aren't they? So that means that each of us is in control of our own thoughts.

But we don't always have control over our thoughts. Sometimes our thoughts stray to things that we know are wrong, but we like. If all our actions proceed from thought, wouldn't bad thoughts that don't please God, lead to bad actions which don't please God- and in the process, likely hurt ourselves? The Bible says we have to watch out for evil thoughts.

Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:23 NKJV

So how do we keep our hearts safe? How do we keep our thoughts pure?

The first thing we have to do is remove the bad things from our lives, and that comes from reading the Bible and praying.

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
Colossians 3:5 NKJV

There's a two-step process for killing evil: Burning and Starving.

The Bible describes the Holy Spirit as a fire. When we let the Holy Spirit in, a spiritual fire comes in and sets everything evil flame, purifying us like refined gold. The Holy Spirit, when invited in, will expose evil things and burn them into nothing. It's hard for sin to be a major part of your life after you burn the sucker like hickory smoked ribs!

In addition to burning, there's another thing we absolutely have to do to remove evil thoughts. The Holy Spirit isn't going to bother checking things out just for us to sneak them back in and feed them.
In other words, He has no problem taking out sinful lust, as long as you have no problem not looking at pornography and looking at people sexually. He has no problem taking out anger, as long as you have no problem humbly and prayerfully forcing yourself to keep your cool.

There's an old Indian proverb. It describes two caged dogs, a black dog that plans to eat you, and a white dog, that loves you and wants to protect you from the black dog. Pretty soon the dogs will end up fighting each other, and only one can win.

Here's the catch: whichever dog you feed, take care of, and spend time with, that's the dog that will win.

If you "feed" the Spirit with godly, clean thoughts, and prayer, fasting, and Bible study, the evil thoughts in you don't have a chance. But if you feed those evil thoughts, don't expect them to take you where you want to go.

(I plan on having every message ends with a Mission if you choose to accept it.)

Your Mission: Pray tonight, asking God to clean your thoughts. Ask Him to give you thoughts that lead you down the right path. Analyze the evil thoughts in the things you watch, read and listen to, and get rid of them. If you feel like you have those things in your stories, consider taking them out of them.