Chapter forty six: A waking up call

Phoenix Pov

I flip onto my right side and slightly blink.

I instantly fall off my bed and rub my arm. Troy was the first thing I saw as soon I wake up.

"Mind not staring at me in my sleep?" Troy helps me up and I stretch a little before yawning.

"Sorry, but morning." Troy smiles. "Its good to have you back though." I pat Troy's shoulder before giving him a nice warm hug.

"Thanks for that, before." I remind him. Troy goes a little red and nods before leaving the room. As soon as Troy leaves, Ryan walks in. He throws me some clothes and an unused toothbrush packet.

"Borrow Joey's old clothes, before he grew taller." Ryan explains. "Extra toothbrush and I set up the shower for you, so you're good to go. It's Quentin's shower, though." Ryan shrugs.

"Alright." I nod. I leave the room with Ryan and he swings an arm around my shoulder before giving me a kiss on the forehead. I whack him and he laughs.

"We used to give each other kisses all the time."

"We did not." I roll my eyes, turning his face with my palm. Ryan giggles and hugs me while dragging me to Quentin's bathroom. I groan and lift my heel upwards, Ryan gasps and falls back. I turn back and see him on the ground, aiding himself.

"There are more-" Ryan gasps "-ways to get me off you rather than that."

"I wish that was the only way." I beg, closing the door behind me.

~

Ryan and Troy sit on the couch, talking to each other about the fireworks. I take a seat on the opposite side and change the channel to Cartoon network. Troy frowns at me and I give him a 'what' look.

"What happened to Dunedin?" Ryan wonders.

"Oh-" I look down and laugh awkwardly to myself. "-Yeah, I kinda ran away from there." I rub my neck. Troy and Ryan go wide eye and stare at me bewildered. I nod and lean back onto the chair.

"How'd-"

"Funny story really." I laugh. Not looking at any of them but when I did I had my eyes closed.

Flashback

"Fuck you." I growl. The bruises on my back were more pained than usual, maybe because each time I got hit with a stick it got harder and harder. I rub my forearm and stand up before getting hit in the leg. My legs wobble and I continue walking.

What a load of shit, this school is nothing like it said in the brochure.

"Stand up straight. No foul language. No slouching. No talking. Chin up. Butt packed together. Elbows straight. Hands cupped." I follow the rules and get more hits then the usual. I nearly fall to the ground but just avoid my knees touching. "Better than usual."

"I wanna go back." I look down. "Fuck this school. Fuck all of you!" I scream this time.

Everyone stops. Miss Love looks more angrier than usual. She grips my arm and next minute, I'm being thrown into a room. The door gets locked and see this as prison area.

I breathe out and hear the d0or being knocked on. "Listen here, you little rat. You can learn to respect all of us by staying in that room. There's a bar of soap to wash your mouth in case you start swearing again. And, you aren't getting dinner or breakfast or lunch. I'll have your stuff shipped to this room, it's your new room now."

"C'mon! I've still got school left. It's only been period two! Actually, it's the beginning of period two!" I groan. I lean against the wall and slide down. Looking around, I see something that could help me out.

~

Once the school had fallen asleep, I planned everything carefully. I twisted the knob and knew it was locked. I'm a dumbass for even trying to check if it's open.

I see the window is made from glass and take the pillow. I place the pillow to the glass and kick it, quickly removing it and taking a shard of glass and placing it to the side. I start to remove the left over glass with the pillow, smacking the glass.

I grab the sheets and remove it from the bed. I hold the glass with the pillow case and use it to cut strips out of the sheets. I smile and finally get the sheets tied together securely. Once I'm satisfied, I take my bags one at a time and throw them down.

I take the bed leg and tie it with the sheets. I pull it a few times to check if it's safe and nod once I've gotten it. I slowly climb down and do the same thing like when I climbed the office but this time doing the opposite. I'm halfway when I hear the sheets starting to rip.

I climb down as fast as I can and before I knew it, I was on top of my suitcase.

I groan and lean back. "Ugh, fuck it." I say. Wincing in pain from the bruises and the fall. I take my bags and quickly run.

Flashback end

Troy and Ryan stare at me in amazement. "That was kinda cool." Troy admits. "But if you're here, are you coming to-"

"Yep." I grin.

Running can be heard from the hallway and we all take our attention to their. Leo leans against the arch, barely breathing. "If you're coming to-" He says, trying to catch his breath. He comes to living room and falls onto the couch beside the one I'm sitting on.

"-McLienster. What about Logan?"

"We shouldn't worry about that." I reassure. I smile at him. Leo has bright orange hair this time and just nods.

Why is here? When did he get here? Did he run here?

"Heard our parents are doing a BBQ." Leo says. "If we wanna chill, how about we go there?" Leo suggests. Still catching his breath.

"Is that where everyone else is?" Ryan says with disbelief. "That explains why I haven't seen my mum or dad yet."

"They came to town?"

"Yeah, came last night."

"So, that must mean-" Leo looks at Troy who nods.

"Yeah, my mum is back from wherever she was." Troy sighs. "We'll see what's happened with her."

"We should go." Ryan suggests.

"Can any of us drive?" I ask after the three had stood up. Each one of them turned around and stares at me, I shake my head.

"Joey!" Ryan screams. "JOEY!!!!"

"WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT?!?!" Joey screams back. "I"M BUSY HERE!!"

"NOW YOU ARE!! YOU"RE DROPPING ME AND THE GUYS AND PHOENIX OFF!!" I cover my ears and the others do the same.

"PHOENIX HERE!! YEAH, OF COURSE I"LL DROP YOU OFF!!" I look at the others who do the same. I shrug and follow behind Leo.

"Can I get a welcome back hug?" Leo suggests, batting his eye.

"In your dreams." I joke. Leo pouts and looks down. I wrap my arms around him and he smiles.

"Happy New Years." Leo chuckles. "Missed you."

"So, you've told me." I laugh.