Chapter thirty six: Truth or lies

Christmas Day

"I'm so ready to go home!" Ian smiles, excitedly.

"I am too." I say. No more seeing guys, no more teachers, no more rubbish everywhere I go but the food, that will be missed. I hold my duffel bag tightly in my hands while reaching for the door handle of the cafeteria. Ian holds the other door, pulling on it and smiling.

I see the cafeteria is filled with people from the school, some I haven't seen around, some I see during my classes, and others while eating with them or passing by them. I look around the crowded place and see no familiar face besides Ian and Nathan who , I'm avoiding at the moment.

Nathan spots me and quickly runs up to me. He carries a large camping bag with his pillow buckled safely on top. "Merry Christmas, Phoenix, Ian." He greets with a toothy grin. He stands taller than Ian but shorter than me. "I have a gift for you, Phoenix. I hope you like it." Nathan swings his bag over, opening it and bringing out a box nicely wrapped with a huge bow on top.

"Oh, thanks." I say, with a fake smile. "I didn't get you anything but, I have a bar of chocolate." I pull a kitkat from my bag pocket and hand it to him. "Sorry, it's last minute. Very." I add with a smile. Nathan smiles and holds it in his hands like it's a pet or something.

"This is the best gift I've gotten from a girl! That wasn't from my family. Last gift I got was a pen, that wasn't working." Oh, my shit. I feel so sorry for this guy. Who gives someone a pen that isn't working, that's a dick move.
Nathan opens the kit kat breaking it in half, offering one piece to me.

"It's yours, not mine."

"Oh, right. Thanks Phoenix, hope you like yours." Nathan smiles before running into the crowd. I look beside me and Ian still stands there.

"You're still here? I thought you left, somewhere." I say. Ian replies with a smile.

"You wanna make plans for the holidays? I've got no where to go. We can watch a cool movie." Ian suggests while looking up at me.

"I guess."

"Number please." He holds his hands out and I reach into my pocket, to get my phone then realise. I raise an eyebrow with confusion. "Any plans for the holidays?"

"Shouldn't you be asking that before you suggested the movies." I say, "just write your number on my arm."

"Oh, whoops. Sometimes, I forget." He giggles. He grabs a pen from one of his jacket compartments and begins writing. "And..done!"

"Okay, well I've gotta go. Gotta find the guys." I wave to Ian and he smiles. "Merry Christmas, Ian."

"You too, Phoenix!" I wonder off into the crowd, searching. I never knew there was this much people in the cafeteria. It doesn't look much of people until you're actually in the crowd. It's like I'm at a Justin Bieber concert.

Once I find an open space, I quickly run out only to be pushed back in with pain. "Ow-sorry...Phoenix!" I look up to see Kevin....Kelvin....No, Kelvin never apologises, he always adds 'not' at the end of his apology. It's Kevin. "We've been searching for you."

"Cool." Kevin pulls my sleeve out of the crowd and through the kitchen door.

~

"I'm off." Leo swings his school bag around his shoulders. "Well..." Leo looks at us with a blank face. Leo takes his phone off the counter and looks at us again, "selfie!" He calls. Leo opens his camera and everyone jumps in.

I stand where I can't be seen.

"We're missing one." Leo says. They all look at me while they do their poses. Daniel has Matthew on his back and Kevin just smiles, normally. Kevin pulls me into the photo and does a peace sign.

"Three,

Two,

One." Leo presses the button.

"Well, I'm going too." Troy picks up a few boxes and follows behind Leo.

"See you lovebirds later." Kelvin jokes. Leo holds the finger.

"We live in the same direction, you ass." Leo sticks his tongue out. "Merry Christmas, you fuckers!" Leo shouts to us.

"Back at you." Kelvin holds the finger. "Merry Christmas." Kevin puts his hands down and I shake my head. I swear, this is what Kelvin's kindness is based on; swearing and more swearing. I pick up the left over cookie and eat it before checking to see what we're doing.

Leo and Troy stand by the door and wave to us before leaving. "Merry Christmas and happy birthday Phoenix." Troy smiles.

Ryan looks at his phone and blinks. "My ride is here too, I'm coming with!" Ryan takes his stuff and races behind Troy and Leo. "Merry Christmas guys! Happy birthday Phoenix!" I smile and glance at the remaining guys.

"So...." Kelvin starts.

Kevin digs into the food and swings with his own rhythm. Matthew just claps his hands and Daniel glances at his book.

"Let's play truth or dare!" Kelvin smirks.

"No." We all reject.

"C'mon, it'll be fun." Kelvin insists.

"You can play yourself." Daniel replies.

"How about we just talk?" Kevin suggests.

"Good idea." Daniel smiles. I peek through the window and notice people have started to leave and the cafeteria is less crowded. I just smile before looking at the guy who keep their conversation on stuff I'm not bothering with.

I breath in and out. I reach into my pocket and notice there's nothing. I grab my bag and search around for it. Where's my phone?

"Hey, I'm gonna come back. I'm going to my room 'cause I think I left my phone." I explain to the guys. They nod and I quickly leave without my stuff.

~

When I get to the room, I slide my key in and open the door. I notice my phone on my bed and I hit my head. "How the fuck do I forget my phone here?" I pick my phone up and check to see if there's anything. Great, my phone is dead.

I leave the room and spot Logan holding his boxes. "I thought you don't live in the dorms." I said, greeting him. He rolls his eyes and looks me up and down. "What?"

"Nothing." He scoffs. "And no, I don't. I'm building my reputation up and helping some guy I hate, out." Logan explains. "The guy annoys me. So. Much. Like, I don't care about how many times you get talked to."

"You're so kind." I say with a sneer. "Why do you want to get rid of me? Did I do something to you?"

"No-"

"Then why-"

"Look, I can't tell you. The only thing is, you're being watched and I have to expose you. You're coming next year and you have some deal with you're step mum or whoever. You have a month left and someone doesn't want you here next year." Logan explains. He places the box down and stretches his back then arms.

"What do you-"

"New years, you have new years to prepare yourself." Logan says.

"Are you a puppet?"

"I could be." Logan mumbles. "I've changed the date to new years. I'll send your old school photos and your ID to the whole school, next the teachers than the principal. My dad." Logan picks up the box and glances at me. He smirks then walks away.

"Have fun, oh, yeah." Logan reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded piece of paper and hands it to me. "Merry, Christmas."

"You too." I say.

"This is the only time I'll be nice to you."

"Thanks."

"Whatever." Logan turns the corner and I open the piece of paper and look at it. I place it in my pocket and return to the cafeteria.

~