The Last Dance (29)

Start from the beginning

"Well, come on then Johnny, let's go sign up on the lists" Luke said before dragging him away.

When they were far enough away Mira and Lily each grabbed a hold of one of my hands.

"While they are doing that, we have to go start picking out dresses for the ball."

My eyes widened and I immediately tried pulling away from them, ready to run away if I had to, but their grip on my hands stayed firm and kept me in place.

I pouted, trying to figure out what I could say to get out of this, as they forcibly pulled me in the direction on the castle.

"Is it really necessary to look now? The Ball is still a week away" I reasoned desperately.

The last thing I needed was an afternoon getting fitted for gowns and picking out colors. I shuddered at the thought.

Mira tsked at me while Lily shook her head.

"The Ball may be a week away, but it's also five days long, and it will take time for all those gowns to be made"

They both laughed at the sullen expression on my face while continuing to pull me towards the castle tailors.

***

The next few days seemed to almost melt away as everyone in the castle became increasingly excited about the upcoming tourney and High Ball.

Quintaines lined the field from one end to the other, keeping the practice courts full from dawn to dusk with potential applicants.

A large circular area was roped off with stands erected halfway around.

Pavilions in all colors littered the grounds from the castle to the village, with their banners snapping proudly in the wind.

For my part, I spent the hours hiding out in my forest glade, they only place I could find even a modicum of quiet.

Mostly I stayed out there to avoid the burden of getting gowns for the ball.

I thought the one day I'd spent there would be the end of it, but I was sadly mistaken. If anyone caught sight of me I would be dragged off for fitting after fitting.

Like I really cared what I would be wearing, girls dressed up so they could find husbands, and I most definitely was not looking to get married.

I wished I could slow down time, freeze it somehow on the moments when I could just laze around with Mira and Lily, watch the boys practice their jousting, or duel with John, but of course it couldn't last, and all too soon it was the day of the tourney.

***

The sky was clear and promised to be a warm day, good conditions for the matches to come.

Despite the fact that I would only be on the sidelines, I couldn't help but be feel excited for the day's events.

The stands were already filling with court ladies and the men either too old or inexperienced to compete.

All the fiefs were represented, their standards flapping proudly in the gentle breeze.

Many I'd never seen before; a white stag on an brown field, a bronze helm inside a green wreath, and so many more they looked like rows of glittering jewels planted in the earth.

Farther away across the field I caught sight of the banner for fief Etrian; a red mare rearing against a blue background; meaning that Anna and Charlie would be around here somewhere.