Chapter 1: Nightmares

[LISTEN TO, LITTLE TREASURE-CASILOFI WHILE READING PLEASE, THANK YOU]

☆Ruby's POV☆

I wake up to a scream. I shoot up and gasp for air.

"What was that?!" I yelled.

I look over to Yang, who's fast asleep.

"Ruby, what was what?" Weiss groaned as she yawned. It seemed like she heard nothing. Am i just hearing things?

"I heard a scream," I reply.

"It's just your imagination Ruby, just go back to sleep. You've been saying that for the past month.." Weiss's voice trailed off as she fell back asleep.

She was right. I was just.. hearing things. After Pyrrha died, i've been hearing screams in my sleep. Not just any screams though. It was.. my scream. I was screaming. For the past month, i haven't been getting proper sleep.

I reach over to the night stand next to me and turn on my phone. The bright blue light burns my eyes so i shield them. I check the time. In big print, it displays 5:30 AM

I sigh and lean back down onto my bed. I stare at the bottom of Weiss's bed which is right on top of me. Me and Weiss share a bed, while Blake and Yang share one together. I notice the details on the carved wood above me. I stare and stare, trying to go back to sleep.

~Time skip Time~

It's been 45 minutes i think and i still can't sleep. I tried counting to One hundred, but still nothing. Maybe i just need some fresh air.

I stand up and grab a dark red cardigan. I slip it on and tip toe over to bedroom door. Slowly turning the door knob, i open it quietly making sure not to wake up the girls. I exit and close the door behind me.

Turning around, i notice team JNPR's door is open. I take a peak in and notice Jaune is missing. Hmm, maybe he went to the bathroom or went to go get some fresh air too.

I make my way down the hallway and turn right. I keep walking straight and see the entrance to the balcony ahead. I  see Jaune just standing there, staring at the sky. So i was right. He is getting some fresh air to.

Me and him haven't been so
.. great.. after Pyrrha's death... He's been very sad lately. I'd try to cheer him up, but heh im socially awkward so it always fails. I mean Jaune loved Pyrrha. It would make sense for him to be depressed.

I continue walking and i walked onto the balcony. I stand next to Jaune.

"What are you doing up?" He asks quietly.

"I couldn't sleep after a nightmare i had.." I reply.

He nods. It's silent now. All we can hear is the sound of crickets and grass being blowed by wind.

"What was your nightmare about?" He asks breaking the silence.

"Well.. it was.about.. Pyrrha's," I pause

"and.. i've been having the same..nightmare over.. and over again. I always wake up to a scream, but it's my scream. Im not sure if it was in my nightmare though.. it sounded like it happened. I'd wake up with a dry throat.." I answer.

He continues staring at the sky.

"Y'know, i really miss Pyrrha.." Jaune says.

I stare at him.

"I do to.." I reply.

"I just know now..that.." his voice begins sounding shaky.

"That..she's..she's in a.. a better place now," his voice cracks.

I begin feeling a lump in my throat. My eyes start getting watery.

"She is.." I struggle to say.

I couldn't hold it in anymore. I couldn't stop myself from crying. And there it begun. My eyes flooded with tears and i coughed.

I was crying. Right there and at that time.

"Ruby.." Jaune says.

He begins crying aswell. We couldn't take it anymore.

He pulls me in for a hug.

"That night... when i think of Pyrrha.. that night is all i can remember," I cough.

"I could've done something.. I could've saved her-"

"Don't start blaming it on yourself.." Jaune says.

My eyes widen and i decide to wrap my arms around Jaune instead of them dangling by my side. His body heat comforted me. I could hear myself stop crying.

"Ruby, if you need anyone to talk to or hang out with... im here," Jaune offers.

I nod and and my eyes begin feeling droopy. My vision blurs and i pass out from my sobbing.