Chapter 26

Today was finally the day we had all been waiting for: the end of term dance. You could almost feel the tension in the air as Cassie, Hayley, Luna and I decorated the hall where the event would take place. It would be almost impossible to predict what would happen, when we confronted Ella on her evil doings, and what would be in store for Ashton and I, when I told him the news I had been dreading for the past few days.

"What are you going to do about the job?" Cassie asks me as we put the finishing touches to the chair decorations. Her fingers fiddling with the ribbon to turn it into a perfect bow.

"I don't have a clue Cass, I really want to take it. But I also don't want lose Ashton if he doesn't come with me" I shrug, pulling the bow tight. Taking a step back to admire my work while looking over at Cassie, who's struggling.

"Maybe you should speak to Ashton about it first. Although I do believe that moving away together is crazy, it might be the best thing for you two. A fresh beginning and all of that" her eyes darting to meet mine.

"Maybe you're right. I'll wait till after tonight. There seems to be a lot going on at this event, and I'm stressed out enough as it is."

"Are you two done yet?" Luna asks, entering the room with Hayley. Her hands firmly gripping a clipboard.

"Yeah, just. What do you think?" I reply, looking from Luna to Cassie.

"I love it. Thank you guys so much for helping me out today. Now we can go and start getting ready" She was almost jumping around, giddy and excited: at least someone was.

* * *

Back at the apartment, the four of us had decided to make a girly evening of tonight's events. Our living room had been turned into a dressing room, makeup sprawled across the table tops, hair spray, curling irons, and mirrors scattered on the couch and floor.

The clock on the cooker reading 17:47, meaning it was almost time for us to leave and head to the campus. Butterfly's had erupted in my stomach, as nerves had begun to set in, this was happening and we couldn't do anything to stop it. We had been waiting for this night for months and the time had finally come.

"So girlies, I just wanted to say a big thank you for helping me out today, without you that hall would be just as drab as ever. Secondly I don't think I could have asked for better friends in my time at university, I love you all and can't wait for a great night" Luna beamed from ear to ear as she stood elegantly with her wine glass in hand. A small tear forming in her eye.

"This might be the end of our time at uni, but it's not the end of our friendship. No matter how far we travel, or where we end up we will always stay the four musketeers" Cassie beams, her smile innocent and genuine. I knew that no matter what, the four of us would always remain best friends.

"I'm sorry to interrupt the sentimentality but the taxi's here" Hayley giggles, the wine already making her tipsy. Her words slurred.

"Oh one more thing before I forget" Luna piped up, running through to the bedroom, before returning with a small box. "Our masquerade masks" She handed us a mask each, one to match with our dresses.

We gathered our things together, locked the apartment and jump into the taxi to take us to the campus. Where tonight would either be the best night ever, or the worst night in history.

* * *

We had arrived at the campus about ten minutes later, and I have to say that I've never seen the place so busy in my entire life. Girls dressed up in stunning gowns, and the boys scrubbed up in suits and tie. Even though we set up the place, it looked even more beautiful when the sun went down and the fairy lights being the only light to illuminate the path.

"Luke said the boys are meeting us here" Cassie states to us, looking down at her phone as she messages her boyfriend.

"Miss me" Luke's familiar voice asks placing his hands over Cassie's eyes from behind. She uses one hand to tear them away so she could look round at the boy dressed handsomely in a suit.

"Of course I did" she beams planting her lips on his.

"Evening girls" Calum smirks approaching us with Michael next to him, they both looked handsome, dressed almost identical to Luke in their suits.

Hayley and Luna both greeted their boyfriends, while I stood their like an awkward third wheel. Ashton hadn't said if he would meet us outside or if he had to chaperone inside. I really wish I hadn't come to this night.

As we began walking towards the main entrance a hand entangled with mine. My eyes dart instantly to the man next to me, even with a mask on I knew it was Ashton. Those eyes of his unmistakable anywhere.

"You didn't think I would leave you on your own did you?" He smirks.

"Honestly yes. But you're here now" I smile up at him "you look really handsome" feeling my cheeks burn I look away in embarrassment.

"You look beautiful Ally, I'm the luckiest man in the world to have you by my side" his lips form a heartfelt smile, which cause butterflies to erupt in my stomach. How could I be nervous about tonight, he was my everything and nothing else mattered.