Chapter 22

The sheer pressure that had exuded over the past couple of days was inconceivable.I had been trying desperately to focus on revising for my exams, but all I could think of was the letter that Ashton had received from Ella. The threat was so real I didn't know how to act around him, what to think, what to say.

I sat in the exam hall, staring blankly at the question paper in front of me; begging my brain to come up with something logical. The absolute silence made my ears ring, and the breeze rushing into the large space from the open window sent chills down my spine. I wasn't sure what unnerved me the most, everyone else writing frantically while I sat here blankly or the sight of Ella who kept a watchful eye on me the entirety of the exam.

Felling her eyes on me with every second that passed caused my heart to race, trying to concentrate on the words in front of me but ultimately becoming distracted and picturing that note that she sent Ashton.

"You have one hour left" the bald examiner deeply announced, which caused every head in the room to look up at the clock on the wall to check his claim.

I guessed I'd better put pen to paper and try to pass this thing.

****

"How did you get on?" Hayley asks as she greets me outside of the hall, her green eyes flickering to Ella who storms passed us, almost racing to escape the situation. Not that I blame her.

"okay" I shrug, pulling my phone from my jacket pocket.

"Just okay? Ally you're like the smartest person I know you will have aced that"

"I stared at the paper for twenty minutes before I wrote anything, besides I'm more curious to see how Ella passes since all she did throughout that exam was stare at me" a small smile perched on Hayley's lips as I spoke.

"That girl has a complex, but I've been thinking more and more about this revenge plot and I've brainstormed some ideas with Cas" she paused trying to retrieve something from her bag "Ah here we go"

"Whats that?" I ask looking at the black book she had grasped in her hand

"Its a notebook ally what does it look like"

"Is this your book of ideas on how to get rid of Ella?" I ask, causing my lips to reciprocate Hayley's smirk.

"Well yeah, but we aren't getting rid of her in the context that we'll be planning a murder. I just think we should mess with her a little and give her a taste of her own foul medicine" she flicked the book open to a page of malicious sketches, ones with little sick people whom I suspect to be Ella.

"I thought death was off the table"

"It is, those were just a bit of harmless fun" she put extra emphasis on the word harmless.

"Hey, you think I could catch you and Cas up?" pausing as we walk past Mr. Irwin's class. Hayley gave a slight smirk as she noticed him sitting at his desk watching us.

"Sure, but don't forget to use a condom"

"Oh shut up, sex isn't on the table at the moment anyway" I roll my eyes at the small girl with the one tracked mind

"Oh I think it will be if you know what I mean"

"I know exactly what you mean, but thats the kind of talk that gets everyone into serious trouble, especially Ashton and I"

Cautiously I walk into the classroom, softly closing the door behind me and flipping the lock to ensure that we wouldn't be disturbed. Ashton's eyes flicker to meet mine, there was a moment of silence before he resumed looking down at the desk.