Chapter. 1

I refuse to drink again. The aberrant throbbing that occurred in my head signified a nasty hangover; staring profusely at myself in the bathroom mirror i notice every distasteful detail. My skin an off white, with bags of perpetual sleep deprivation plastered under my rather tired looking green eyes, my brown hair strewn in all directions with particles of glitter still nestled within it. Needless to say i looked a mess and felt awful, thank heavens for my makeup kit and the aspirin sitting on my nightstand.

Letting out an unfathomable sigh i proceed in turning on the taps allowing the water to flow into the white bowl, letting the warm water rise a little before splashing it onto my face. The sensation was comforting, as the warm water coursed over my tired features. Patting my face with the hand towel thoughts of self loathing are put to one side, as i remember my assignment is due in today, last night i was suppose to be finishing it off instead of finishing the drinks countless handed to me. The paper counted for forty percent of my final grade, my lecturer Mr O'Connor's made it clear to the class that if it wasn't handed in today than it would be an automatic fail, which i couldn't afford.

"Hayley" i call out, wincing at the sharp pain spiking in my throat, almost as if i had swallowed sandpaper. There was no response from the living room where she should be sleeping, causing me to venture out from the bathroom to wake her. The sheets that i had left out for her remained neatly folded and untouched, indicating she hadn't stayed over after the party. Concern swarmed in my mind, wondering where she could possibly be; i frenetically grab the landline from the hook in the kitchen, punching in her mobile phone number. I let it ring for a few moments, growing increasingly impatient with her, just as i was about to hang up she picks up. "Where did you end up last night" i tease keeping the phone propped up with my shoulder as i raid the fridge for a bottle of water

"Honestly, i have no idea" she groans in tired frustration "Can't we just skip today?" her voice mimicking that of a child, even through the phone i could tell she was pouting

"You know i can't, Mr O'Connor's will fail my paper if it's not in today" I half smile taking a sip of the cool liquid in attempts at soothing my throat. I hear her sigh in annoyance at my reluctance to skip the lecture, no matter how bad this hangover was i was going.

"Alright then, I'm coming in too. Can't leave you to be a third wheel at lunch again can i?" She jests before i hear a male voice in the background "I'll meet you at the arch when you get there bye" she hastily tells me before hanging my up, the arch was our usual meeting place when we got to the campus.

I place the phone back onto its dock so that it made a dinging noise, signalling that it was charging before grabbing some breakfast. Seizing a porcelain white bowl from the bottom cupboard, i put it on the worktop before opening the fridge again, removing a selection of fruits and an unopened pot of vanilla yoghurt. Before doing anything else i flicked the switch on the kettle and got my mug of tea ready for pouring. Breakfast didn't take much preparing just throwing the various fruits into a bowl followed by a few spoonfuls of yoghurt; and by this point the tea was ready, and i was back to reality.

I looked over my paper while eating breakfast, sorting out all the insignificant details that Mr O'Connor's would pull me up on once he marked it. Eating the last spoonful of fruit i take it as an incentive to get ready, today was one of those days when everyone and everything seemed out to get me. My inner self believed that, and i did too.

Not bothering to even look half decent, i pull my hair up into a sloppy pony tail so strands of hair fell around my face. Rummaging through my drawers i find the comfiest clothes possible, skinny dark blue jeans and a black jumper; my appearance matching my mood. Usually I'd make an attempt at applying makeup but not today, today i went for a lighter application of powder, liner and mascara; just enough to mask the evidential signs of a hangover.