Chapter 21

The walls had begun to close in on me with cumulative pressure and force, of which I could not escape. Exams were looming over me and the weight that had cascaded onto my shoulders increased immensely when I realised just how unbelievably close they were. I'd been so wrapped up within this fantasy of Ashton and I that I had forgotten to even pick up a text book and revise the very least if at all. The moment he stepped foot into that lecture hall my life had begun to tumble in a direction I wasn't quite sure I wanted to see the end of. We loved each other, that was clear. But the aftermath of what was to follow, none of us were prepared for that.

That evening myself Cassie and Hayley decided to have a girly study session, with an array of snacks and drinks. The three of us sat at the breakfast bar with our books sprawled across the table top, a gentle humming escaping Cassie's lips as she browsed over the words in front of her. I hadn't seen her properly since we went off for our mini break, and to say the least, she looked awful. Her once radiant and glowing features had turned dull, clearly with the worry and stress that Ella had caused her. "Cass?" I pipe up, placing my book down to look at her. That fake glued on smile washed away, and what was left; a broken woman.

"I can't cope anymore, this whole thing with Luke and Ella. I can't sleep I can't eat, whenever I look she's there, she's always there" This once strong, independent girl now the empty shell of herself. Tears running down her cheeks leaving a trail through her makeup.

"We're here for you Cassie" Hayley frantically gets to her feet and embraces Cassie in a tight hug. I myself do the same, joining the two girls in a much-needed cuddle.

"Thanks, guys" she sniffles, pausing to wipe away her cascading tears "We need to get the bitch back" the tone in her voice changing so dramatically it almost frightened me.

"And how do you suppose we do that?" I question, peeling back from the embrace to look at her. This suggestion really appealed to me, after all, Ella had been a bit of a...well bitch.

"We need to think of something, we're all smart here" Hayley looked timidly at me, this wasn't really her thing and nor was it mine, but maybe a harmless prank on her wouldn't do much harm.

"Is this a wise decision? I mean we don't want to stoop to her level" she liked to see the good in people when she wasn't gossiping about them.

Just then there was a loud knock at the door, causing all three of us to startle with fear. It was dark out and there weren't many people that would be knocking on the door at this hour. "It's a murderer" Hayley quivers, jolting beneath the breakfast bar.

"Don't be silly" Cassie retorts, slapping at Hayley's arm.

"What if it's Ella, she might have heard you plotting revenge?"

"Hayley!" Cassie and I hush in unison.

Walking toward the door, the person knocks once more. Startling us for the second time. "Allie?" A voice calls from the other side, a male voice which rang oh so clear to me; Ashton. Promptly opening the door for him, his arms quickly wrap me in his embrace. Already I could feel the eyes of my two friends on Ashton and I as he planted a passionate kiss on my lips.

"We have company" I mumble against his soft skin watching as his eyes are drawn to the two girls in the doorway.

"Shit" he gasps pulling away from me to inspect Cassie and Hayley, the look of terror washing upon his features.

"It's fine Ash, they already know" my voice growing quiet as he looks back to me in frustration. I knew I shouldn't have said anything to them but the secret would have eaten my whole if I hadn't. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming over?"

"I tried calling but you didn't answer, it worried me" the slight anger in his eyes faded as they gloss over with affection.

"Is everything okay?"

"I got this" he sighs handing me a crumpled up letter from the pocket in his jacket, my heart began to beat incredibly fast unsure of what on earth this was. Knowing only that this was bad if he came over here so late at night because of it. Un-crumpling the paper all of the letters were cut from magazine clipping it read;

I know your sick little secret Mr. Irwin, resign from your position or I'll tell the university board of directors about your filthy affair with Miss Harper.

"Who the hell sent you this" I exclaim, reading and re reading over the letters taped onto the A4 sheet of tattered paper.

"I could take a guess" Cassie rolls her eyes, she'd not even read the note but had the same inkling I did...Ella.

"What are we going to do?" Ashton spoke as if he were completely diminished. The way his eyes dropped to the floor in an attempt to think of a solution broke my heart, this was my fault.

"That revenge plan is looking good right about now isn't it?" The sass in Cassie's voice was enough for me to crack a smile, but the bigger question was; what was this plan going to consist of?.

Hey guys so...not long left this this story I'm afraid 😭 I think about 9 chapters to go 😬 it's been a while so it will be good to get this finished and start something new and exciting 😊

Hope yall enjoyed the update, until next time ❤️