4 - AFTER the movie we don't go to sleep

Start from the beginning

"You're in luck then. I happen to have multiple sweatpants and T-shirts," I say and walk to the closet. It's like I forced my way into Sam's life and am playing the role of her stepbrother, and I guess Sam's mom is kind of my mom.

"Unfortunately we won't get to match," I add and hand Nolan black sweatpants and a white tee, contrary to my black T-shirt and a little less contrary to the grey sweatpants.

"Dammit, I was hoping we would," he replies with a laugh. He takes the clothes. "Thank you."

Slowly but surely we are recovering from the awkwardness.

I salute him. "See you downstairs." And while I walk down the steps I wonder how long he was standing there before.

It's like Sam and Eileen have known each other for a lifetime. And now they're terrorizing everyone.

"But I don't want to play board games," Jason whines, and kicks the counter. Caleb rolls his eyes, chin resting in his palm.

Ben's staring at his reflection. "I really need a haircut," he sighs when I pass him.

"Stop it," Eileen snaps at Jason. "You don't want to play? Fine. But you don't get to complain that you're bored, then. Besides, who invited you to play anyway?"

Sam presses her lips together to keep from laughing.

I nudge her. "What are we playing?"

"Charades," she replies.

I agree with Jason, but don't want the girls' hate to be directed toward me.

"If you were eighteen we'd have more fun games," Sam adds toward Jason. "But you're not, and neither is Caleb."

"So we have to wait four years for thing to be fun?" Jason slams his hand down on the counter. "Are you kidding me?

Sam shrugs. "Life is unfair. Tell me about it."

Jason crosses his arms and pouts.

"But think about how cool you must be to have older friends, huh?" Eileen says, and leans forward. "You must be the most popular boy in school."

"No one knows you're my friends," he replies as if it were obvious.

Eileen lifts her eyebrow, opens her mouth to say something, but Sam cuts in. "Either we play or we don't. Do we go outside or stay in?"

"It's way too hot outside," Caleb shakes his head and sips his orange juice. "Maybe later."

"What are you guys screaming about?" Nolan appears from the corridor. How come he always looks so great? I fill my glass with cold water, add ice cubes and drink half of it. What the fuck am I going to do with my life?

"The girls want to play charades, but I don't," Jason announces, and slides off the chair. "I'm gonna watch TV, then."

Sam runs her hand through her hair. "He's impossible. How have you not kicked him out of your group yet?"

Jason glances over his shoulder and sticks his tongue out.

"Oh, real mature!" Sam shouts. "You're acting like a ten-year-old."

Jason shows her the middle finger before Ben slaps his hand. "Be polite! You're a guest."

Eileen throws her hands up. "You know what? You guys can watch TV, Sam and I are going to play some games. Don't come begging when you get bored, or want to get away from that one." She points to Jason, then turns to Sam. "Grab the wine, let's go."