Mutations: ~ The Epilogue ~

Mutations:

~ The Epilogue ~

"Was this the right choice?" I turned to Two, who was staring ahead with a solemn expression on his handsome face. He turned to me with an arched brow, and glanced briefly at Eric who was sat opposite of us, "As long as we stay together, it doesn't matter." Two murmured thoughtfully.

A low chant came from beside me, and I turned my gaze to Five, who gripped the security straps that held him down like they were his lifeline. Even his skin was turning white from the death grip, I had forgotten how much he hated flying in these things but at least this one was smaller.

"I'm scared." I whispered quiet enough for Two to hear. I had no idea what we were walking into, or even who to trust. Not since Three had gone docile at the revelation of Emma's death; Eric told us that her heart had been punctured by a flying piece of shrapnel; died instantly.

We were all reeling from the loss; I liked Emma.

Ander looked particularly effected it by it too, he stared at his red hands like they were cursed. I wondered if he had held Emma in their last moments, what it was like to watch a close friend die, after achieving so much. I don't know what I'd do if I lost any of my Splice pack.

But then, were we really friends? I don't even know what a real friend is. I didn't even know what we were now. So much had happened between us since the beginning, it seemed so long ago that there was once a time that we didn't even know each other.

Now, when I looked at Three, I saw maybe more than a friend. I saw someone who I trusted. It was like his pain was causing me pain, I could see it in his marble gaze. His angular features were wiped clean of any emotion as he stared at the ground, his dark blonde hair dishevelled, and his eyes seemed to be empty.

He didn't look like the fierce Splice who tried to tear my head from my shoulders when we first met; Three was possibly the strongest person I knew, even with Two in the mix. There was a hardness about him that made me wonder what he couldn't survive.

But I never thought I would find the answer, I never wanted to.

When the plane landed I wanted to run in the opposite direction but the decision had been made, and Eric wasted no time. We all knew that reinforcements would be on the scene within minutes and the time to argue was over; the choice was made instantly.

I thought it would have been hard to pull Three away, but he was the first to climb on. Like he couldn't stand the fresh air for a moment longer. It turned out to be Five who would put up a fight about getting on the jet, Two was the only one physically strong enough to drag him on.

"Don't be." Two gripped my hand in his. I still didn't trust him, but with Veronica out of the picture, maybe I could start to, "We can't afford to be scared now, Six. We need to be strong."

We needed to trust each other, is what we both wanted to say. I didn't have the energy to start a fight, my emotions were volatile enough and I didn't have the control I needed to keep them in check. So, I just nodded in agreement.

Today had started off like any other day; routinely and boring, and it had ended with me being outside again, and covered in blood, and soot from a grenade that hit a helicopter. It almost felt like a bad dream, impossible to possibly happen but here we were.

And now I was strapped into a small jet that blended into the night sky, it was warm and filled with my prospective thoughts of what would happen next. What could possibly happen now, onward?