Mutations: ~ Chapter Twenty Six ~

Mutations: 

~ Chapter Twenty Six ~ 

By late, Three meant the early hours of the morning.

When the buzz of activity had died down, and there were less bodies manning the floor. Two seemed to know the patterns of everything already, he knew when the guards were on watch, and where they weren't. He knew where all the security cameras were, and how to find their blind spots.

To shock me even more, he had even memorized the entire layout of the building.

There was something thrilling about breaking the rules, not that it was what we were doing. No one specifically told us that we were to be confined in our rooms at all times. But sometimes words don't need to be spoken for a message to be conveyed. A shiver of excitement trailed down my spine as we walked through the corridors.

They seemed hollower without the buzz of action, who knew they were so big? They always looked so small as people chorused through them.

"This place is creepy, man." Five muttered glancing at me over his shoulder, "Why can't we go outside? It's not like the ventilation systems are a great source of fresh air."

There were doors all over the place that couldn't be accessed without identification key cards. I wondered what was the point of making us stay in our rooms if there wasn't even any way of going anywhere.

Our access to anywhere that looked mildly interesting was restricted because all the doors were securely locked. It gave Ares a mysterious vibe, what was in here that they wanted hidden so bad?

"Something about this place feels...off." Three murmured as we trotted down another flight of stairs in the deserted stairwell. No one thought to use them since, there were so many elevators so it gave us an advantage, "I don't think we should go any further down."

I glanced over at Three who looked troubled as he gripped the metal stair railing. We had been going down every flight of stairs since the top, and only now he had become reluctant. For most of the night, he had trailed alongside us in a stony silence but his expression was alert.

Five was too busy flashing all over the place, too quick for us to even see him go, and would come back telling us the same thing. Doors are locked, and nothing interesting to see. By now, I think we were all growing restless because there was really nowhere in here to go.

"These are the restricted levels." Two's deep voice boomed through the stairwell, "We should go back now. The security detail down here is tighter."

The air seemed colder as we stealthy moved through the building. My shoulders slumped, and I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. but what should I have expected? Of course, there would be nothing interesting here to find.

"Well, there's goes an hour of my life I'll never get back." Five muttered glumly, voicing exactly what we were all feeling, and he let his head fall backwards in annoyance, "Back to the rooms?"

Two nodded once, surveying the staircase that kept spiraling down until my eyes strained to see anything more than the dim glow of lighting. A chill ran down my spine as I turned.

Three's jaw clenched tightly, rooted in place as his unseeing eyes swirled with emotion, and his brows furrowed as an intensely focused look entered his eyes.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked trudging upwards with a bored sigh, and he shook his head at me, "Probably nothing." He muttered pretending to brush off whatever had him riled up but the act was lost on me.