Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Nine ~

Mutations: FIVE

~ Chapter Thirty Nine ~ 

(Just a quick a/n to let everyone know that this chapter will be written in Subject Five's P.O.V. It's something new that I wanted to try, so let me know in the comments what you thought about it.)

The noise made my body jerk in surprise at first.

Six stepped away from the doctor man who made the moronic decision to turn us into this. Whatever this even was. My gaze stayed locked on her, watching and waiting. I saw the change roll over her, like it belonged there in the first place.

Her hair was clumped together with the spray of hot blood that dripped from her chin, I felt more alive than ever. And man, did I love this feeling. The freedom that raced through me, every nerve in my body ached to run.

'You can't stop both of us.' The words echoed through my mind and my grin stretched, 'I always win.'

Exhilaration pulsed through me in anticipation; we were going to hunt. If there was one thing I loved more than food, more than games; it was hunting. Outrunning my prey gave me a primal sense of great satisfaction that I missed so damn much.

Two kept his dead eyed gaze on me, he was disappointed that I wanted this as much as Six did. Part of me felt heavy with resistance, I didn't want to disappoint Two, but I could see that he wanted it just as we did.

He just had more self-control. Too responsible; I wasn't alpha, I didn't need to be that.

"I will put you down, Five." Two snarled in warning and I shifted my feet, "You're not Six, you don't have to do this."

The guy was right, but I still wanted to. I loved doing all the obstacles and exercise but it had been decades since we had any real action, and I wasn't about to deprive myself of this. Plus, I needed to be the one to look out for Six.

We looked out for each other, I needed to make sure she stayed safe.

"I'm too quick for you, man." I grinned wickedly, noting how Six tore through the good doctor's throat. Her deep-set eyes were alight with a new-born liveliness, "We both know it."

And we both knew that if he chased, Two's little thread of control would snap just like a click of my own fingers. I knew that he was stronger than the rest of us but if there was one thing I excelled at, it was tiring people out.

I could feel Six's gaze on me, I couldn't let her down. I had never had a girl in my life before, I knew that people had sisters; women guys looked up too. I think Six is meant to be my sister, we're supposed to look out for each other.

But hell, I doubted that Two seen Six as his sister. Not too sure what Mr Stoic thought of her either; Three was hard to read but he didn't look at her like Two did. But there was definitely something there, and it wasn't brotherly like.

"It's wrong." Two growled deeply, and I felt myself shaking in anticipation: I wanted it to start now. I shrugged a shoulder but he continued anyway, "You're not in control, I see that, but I need you to focus."

I was focused, kind of.

I jerked at the noise that blared through the air, making me jump and cringe at the volume of it. I hated the sound of sirens, they ate away at my hearing ability and I wanted to rip the damn things out of the walls.

Then it began.

For me, it was like time slowed down. Everyone always moved so damn slow. It felt like it took a decade for Two to realise what was happening, and turn his head and by the time he did, the doors already began to part.