Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Five ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Thirty Five ~

"I've heard of it." Zero murmured leaning against the glass, as close to me as she could be. A frown marred her perfect features, "It's meant to heighten your mental capacities."

I wrung my fingers together as I paced back and forth, "It was Veronica's idea." I informed Zero. I wasn't surprised when I found out, that woman was desperate to know everything.

"Two will have access to everything in your mind." Zero warned me, watching me thoughtfully. Zero always seemed to be watching me, I liked to think of it in a protective way but I wouldn't ever be truly sure, "He's already strong. It will be easy for him to go by unnoticed."

I sunk down onto the floor and leaned against the glass, close to Zero but far enough away to look at her.

Sometimes, I couldn't believe that she was real. Her long locks of snowy hair were a tangled mess that she was trying to undo with her slender fingers, her gaze calculating.

Zero didn't look dangerous, but I guess that's what makes her an even bigger threat.

"Is there any way to stop it?" I asked hopefully. I didn't like the thought of anyone having access to my thoughts; Zero was different.

Once again, I found myself watching her. They had told me I was the only female that survived. She knew what it was like to be like me, separated from the others unwillingly.

"Not without raising suspicion." Zero concluded after a moment's thought and she cocked her head at me, "Are you still angry with me?"

Her tone was more curious than it was apologetic, nor was it even concerned. Zero looked at me like she was still trying to figure me out. I wanted to be angry with her but the more time I spent with her, the more I noticed her lack of human understanding.

"A little." I finally admitted, turning to face her with a small scowl, "How did you do that anyway?"

Zero shook her head a little, "I don't know. We've always had that bond, a way of staying with each other." She admitted resting a hand near my head, only separated by the thick window between us, "I never forgot. I feel as if you've always been with me, I've just waited longer."

"Do you have many memories of us?" I asked her thoughtfully, eager to discover more about us.

A bright smile lit up her face, and she was suddenly on her feet again. Zero moved fluidly, quick, and swiftly to the other side of her room before landing back where she was only seconds later, with an aged piece of yellow paper in her hands that looked rumpled.

It was a crooked child's drawing. The colors had faded over the years, but I could make out the figures. One tiny girl with large black hair, and a small girl with straight yellow hair, stood on either side of a very tall man dressed all in black with smoke coming from his mouth.

"I remember all the time we all spent together." Zero sighed nostalgically, gazing at the drawing with a small smile on her face, "You, me, and Ripper. He always liked us the best, you know."

My mouth went dry and I stared at the uneven man, who had one leg longer than the over, with both shoes facing inwards, "That's Ripper?" I asked suddenly wishing that I could pry the memory from Zero's head.

"Of course!" She stated like it was the obvious, "I mean, he treasured his males but he had a soft spot for us. He wanted to fix Three's sight before he left, but they started to hunt him down before he could. Ripper had so many plans for us all, we would have been happy."