Mutations: ~ Chapter Twenty Three ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Twenty Three  ~ 

The sweat dripped down every crevice of my body, it matted my thick hair against my overheating scalp, and stuck to my glistening face. It was really distracting me from pumping my legs harder.

Now I realized why my dark hair was always kept in a shortened style; it was so I didn't die from how hot my head could get when working out.

In front of me was a wall of screens; some of them were tracking my heart rate, blood pressure, or my muscle tension. Others monitored my breathing, and temperature, waiting to download the data that guaranteed what was too much for me and when.

I would have thought that all of that would have been enough, but it wasn't. There was one more screen directly in front of me that kept my attention because I was playing a weird brain teaser game on it.

Not to keep me entertained, of course. It was for the small sensors they attached to me, to sensor my brain activity. None of this was for me; it was for their science. They wanted to see just how much their little experiment could keep up with.

"How's she doing in there?" My attention spiked when I heard Hayden's voice. She wasn't in the performance arena with me, and the three science look people in their white lab coats. Hayden was behind the one-way glass mirror on the platform, but I could still hear her, "She's been in here for hours."

More like a lifetime. I was hesitant to go with the escorts who came for me in the morning, but what choice did I have? It's not like I had anywhere to run from them.

They took me here; a sterile room filled with gym equipment, computer screens, and a one-way mirror. After the wired me up, they had me do exercises for the entire morning, and then into a cage that shot baseballs at me, to catch.

They had a bit of trouble trying to convince me to get in that, they knew they'd lost my trust. The only way I'd do is if they left the door open. My hands ached by the time I got a food break.

Now, I was back where I started. I was bored and tired. All I wanted was to leave this place, and go find somewhere to sleep. My breaks didn't even last longer than ten minutes.

"She's impressive. Not quite as physically developed as the males, but we still have the mental stimulation to try." A man responded in a dry voice. I guess a while ago that he was the head researcher here, since it was his voice talking through all the ear-pieces they all wore. He sounded old, and bitter to me, "But she has shown better multitasking skills than Subjects Five, and Three, so far."

Hayden didn't vocally respond to that, leaving me to imagine what Eric would have said back to him. It was only a second later when she finally spoke up, "You'll do the mental stimulation tomorrow." She said but it wasn't a request, it was an order.

Something I don't think the man would have taken very kindly, had it been anyone else, "Veronica wants physical, and mental stimulation, done today." He stated in a hard voice, I didn't know that Veronica had authority here but it seemed like she did.

"Veronica isn't her Handler anymore; I am." Hayden snapped sharply, "I said finish her up tomorrow."

I forced my focus back onto the game before they realized that I had been listening in but I couldn't help but listen on anyway, "Veronica wants to move onto the next stage. We can't have Subject Six fall behind on the schedule, if she does then the Makers will not be pleased, and they will intervene." The man growled in a frustration.