Mutations: ~ Chapter Two ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Two ~

       Did you know that wolves are, despite what is said, extremely social animals?

The idea is; they travel, and hunt, in what's commonly known as a pack, like a family. It's the basic unit of any wolf's social life. They vary in size but, most of them, commonly number up to even fifteen wolves in one pack, made up of blood relative, or ties of affection.

Every pack has their core; an alpha male, and alpha female. They're the ones who run the show, and keep order. Apparently, wolves mate for life too.

I, however, am alone.

Apart from Eric, who is the only tie of affection that I have. Most people I meet, I bond with in some sort of way but with Eric, I have a deeper care. When I was born, I was blind, and deaf. So, I'm actually really good at touch communication. I see him every day, and sometimes all day.

Everyone I know is older than me. Doctors, and examiners, are who I mostly find myself in the company of.

Where I live is very much like a prison cell, or that's what it feels like. There's nothing in here that they don't know about. There's a large print of the number 6, in navy blue stamped on the door, and most of my personal belongings, like my pillow, and comforter. The room is small, and square, with four cream walls, and a single bed pressed against the wall.

But I do have a small built in wardrobe, filled with my neatly arranged clothing. I didn't have many, enough to only last me the week, but I had three different pairs of shoes; my winter boots, running sneakers, and comfort shoes.

I obviously have personal hygiene products, that are kept in the small, private bathroom. They think I don't know about the camera's they have hidden in the wall in my room.

But I do.

I'm good at finding things that way.

Every morning they would sound the drill at approximately 06:15 AM, and that drill meant it was wake up time; it was my routine. Most of the time, I woke up seconds before the drill, out of habit. And I am telling you now, that it is the same every day, unless there's an emergency.

So, I have no idea why I'm being woke up early today.

My eyes snapped open at the loud vibrating sound that travelled through my room. Still hazy from sleep, my gaze drifted towards the small digital alarm that was settled on my nightstand. The digital luminous green numbers read out 05:25.

Confusion seeped through me as the automatic lights in my room flickered to life, almost blinding my sensitive eyes, and I swept my legs out of the bed. What was happening? The electric door swished open with a silent sigh of air, and there was no Eric stood behind it. I watched as the lights in the corridor slowly began to light up, one unit at a time.

There must have been some sort of power failure, and now it was rebooting...? I don't know, nothing else made sense to me

Nope. I should not leave my room; this sort of thing had happened before, and Eric said it was wise of me to stay in my room. But that didn't mean it was easy.

My bare legs bared the wrath of the cool air that was snaking its way inside, and I tugged at my shorts before I scowled. Normally, the cool air didn't bother me, but first thing in the morning, it was a bitch. I ran my fingers through my thick hair before walking back towards my bed.