Mutations: ~ Chapter Twenty One~

Mutations: 

~ Chapter Twenty One ~

"What's going on? We're still here?"

My voice was hoarse from sleep as my eyes cracked open. They were sensitive to the blinding lights that made my cataracts burn, but when I saw the tube still snaked into my arm, they sharpened.

It was a clear tube before but now it was like a red vine taped in place on my arm, filling a plastic donation bag with thick crimson liquid. I don't even know how long I had been out, but I knew that we were on a different bag.

Because the last one had more in it.

The nurse spared me a glance from where she was perched in front of a microscope. The various computers screens above her desk were all lit up, running different algorithms.

Her smile was nauseatingly fake, and it made me squirm uncomfortably. Jones was the escort who picked me up, and dropped me off in medical because she wanted to check on my vitals. Then siphon half of my body's blood content, apparently.

She said she only wanted a couple of vials to evaluate, and then she brought out the bags.

"You lost consciousness over an hour ago." The nurse informed me smoothly, returning her attention to what really infatuated her, with ease, "Your body harvests some of the most advanced regeneration cells I have ever seen. It's quite impressive."

It sounded like a compliment, but I already knew that. Did she not get all the data intel from the compound? They already collected plenty of my blood to investigate, and experiment on.

Just as I was about to ask when I could return to my room, my eyes landed on something. A medical freezer box with its lid unlatched, and layered with cooling blood transfer bags that were sealed with units of my blood, I could smell it.

Why did they need so much?

"Do you need more?" I croaked, feeling concern cartwheel through me at how weak my voice was. Anger sparked through me when the nurse sealed the bag, and put it with the rest.

She flipped the lid shut so that I couldn't see but I knew the smell of my own blood. The nurse pierced me with a certain look answered my question before she did, "It will be donated to scientific research. Your blood cells are regenerating twice as fast as the average Splice. Within an hour, all that blood will have been replaced with new cells." She informed me rashly.

"Then you won't need more." I muttered, plucking out the sickening long needle that was connected to the tube out of my arm. I gagged a little, and pressed a finger against the small puncture to wipe away the fine drop of blood, "I don't feel good."

My head fizzed when I swung my body upwards, and almost keeled over onto the floor. Perhaps I shouldn't have done it so quickly, but I needed to before that devil nurse could do anymore damage.

The middle-aged Nurse Nag sighed like I was the biggest pest in the room. She clicked off her computers, with a distinctive annoyed glimmer in her eyes as she strode towards me.

She tried to keep her annoyance hidden under an impassive expression, not pleased at my actions. The latex gloves were blue, and rubbery against my skin and I shivered at the familiar touch of them.

The nurse took off the blood pressure cuff, and proceeded to check my temperature, and my heart rate that were visually displayed on the screen beside me. She shook her head in discontent, and looked back at me.

"We're still not done yet. " Nurse Nag informed me, her voice tried to sound authoritative. I didn't like that. It didn't help that my human side was weakened, I could feel my dominant side breaking through the bars, "There are still some tests I need to run for-"