Mutations: ~ Chapter Eight ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Eight ~

"Who the hell are you?"

Hauling myself back up onto my feet, I rubbed the sore part at the back of my head as I squinted in confusion. Three had a guy, with distinctively boyish features that made it hard to guess his age, crushed underneath him.

Their faces were so close together that I could see the sweat drip from Three's face, and trickle down the flushed guy's cheek, which already looked bruised, and a little cut up.

That's what happens when you spar with Three. By now, I knew from experience.

"How about you tell me what you are?" The guy gritted out, between heavy pants, which was no surprise. Considering he all but jammed his abdomen into Three's forearm, which could be made of steel. Three then took it upon himself to wrestle him to the ground whilst he was weak.

"Same as you." I breathed as my eyes travelled the length of his athletic body clad in black sweats lined with grey, my eyes flickered to the top he wore that was like my own, and Three's, "He's Five."

Five's head snapped towards me, and my eyes met his, bubbling with confusion as they ran over my attire. I could see him figuring out the puzzle, watching the pieces fall into place in his mind,

I was only one version better than he was. Five's hair was even like my own, dark brown, and kept short. Unlike Three, who had dark blond hair, or maybe it was just a light brown.

The new stranger had an athletic figure but not nearly as muscular as Three. Five's body had a lither appearance to it, with a thin layer of muscles. There was muscle there but mainly in his legs.

"No way," He breathed as he relaxed a little underneath, Three, who didn't remove himself from where he was holding Five down, "I knew that it wasn't just me out here! Even before I was told!"

Then it happened just like before.

Without warning, Five miraculously slipped away from Three's grasp, and swept out from underneath him. He brought his knee down so hard on Three's back, that Three roared with pain before he himself reared back onto his feet. I expected him to lunge at Five but instead, he stood in front of me.

Shock radiated through me at the protective stance he took.

Before he wanted to kill me, and now he wants to protect me!?

"Stand down, kid," Three snarled in a threatening tone, and I couldn't tell if he was warning Five, or simply advising him, "Because I have no problem with beating the life out of you right now."

His tone sent chills down my spine but Five only smirked, shrugging his tan shoulders as if he were gearing up for the fight of his life. Which was accurate, because Three would kill the boy.

A wide grin crawled across his face as if Christmas had come early, and he jutted his chin out towards us. I didn't miss the wariness that was hidden in his eyes, something about them made me want to take a closer look.

"If you want to kill me, first you've gotta catch me."

And like that, Five vanished into thin air, with nothing but a breeze of air left where he once stood.

"Enhanced physical ability?" I breathed as I pressed my own back against Three's, like I'd been trained to do in my sparring lessons. Behind me, I felt Three stiffen as he mulled over this thought.

"No." Three finally mumbled under his breath, "He isn't as strong as he looks, I think it's just his speed that's enhanced."

Five's scent still hung heavy in the air but there was no sign of him, and that made me nervous.