Mutations: ~ Chapter Nineteen ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Nineteen ~

The novelty of moving had dimmed in the past few hours.

I felt more comfortable here, now that I had more knowledge about my surroundings. Or, at least with the information we had been given, which wasn't nearly as much as what was restricted.

The information we got was more on 'a need to know' basis, rather than a thorough guide.

Although, my ease was short lived when the tour came to an abrupt end. Because then we were separated; it wasn't by force, I knew that we didn't have a choice either. I felt uneasy about it because it was only me being isolated, but I guess I should be used to the feeling.

I'm always apple among the pears.

When the guys Handlers came to collect them I was pulled aside, apparently is was a surprise even to the Handlers themselves. Veronica pounced on the soldier with the grace of a tiger, and the smile of one too.

If she were one of them, then she would be baring her teeth, but it didn't look like she was being protective at all. It looked as if someone were trying to sneak off with her property.

I didn't like that.

"Excuse me?" She began smoothly, her voice layered in suave, that dripped with coolness, "What do you think you are doing?"

The agent was young, and Veronica was a sight to behold. So, I wasn't surprised by the ways his eyes widened at the sight of the lovely woman before him, "That's none of your concern, Ma'am." He swallowed thickly, looking like he'd rather say anything but those words.

"Considering that I am her Handler, I beg to differ." Veronica sniffed as her fingers curled around my upper arm, and she drew me closer to her.

The change in her tone must have jump started the guard, and his eyes sharpened unexpectedly. Veronica didn't flinch at the shift, but she definitely lost the hail Mary façade.

"There's been a change of plans. I'm here to inform you that your status as Subject Six's Handler has been terminated," The guard paused thoughtfully, "or rather, transferred."

For a second, nothing but silence filled the room. It wasn't the comfortable kind of silence, but rather the kind that you find yourself secluded in when the storm was approaching after the calm.

It was smothering, and I shifted in discomfort as it stretched between us all. It burdened the room with a tension so thick, that I didn't even want to breathe because I was afraid that something would shatter from the intensity.

Veronica's usually serene features tightened for a fraction of a second. So quick, that I wondered if it had been my own imagination. Her emerald eyes were as sharp as they were cold, and could make any man want to step down. Fierce in a way that not only showed her annoyance, but also her anger.

"There must be a mistake." She spoke surprising me by how calm she sounded, and blinked up at the guard, "If such changes were arranged then I would have been informed, immediately."

"We don't make mistakes here, Ma'am. Now if you please, it's time to introduce Subject Six to her new Handler."

My chest tightened at those words for a million different reasons, the main one being rejection. Eric really was gone. If he was being replaced then that meant that I would never see him again, I wondered what he was doing now, and where he was.

After being able to push him aside from my thoughts for the day, I was now once again stormed with emotions that all linked back to him. I was getting a new Handler, did this mean something had happened to Eric?