Mutations: ~ Chapter Ten ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Ten ~

"What is this?"

I was so bored that I had busied myself with fixing my hair. I would due in for a cut soon. Eric paid me no heed as he paced across the floor impatiently.

We waited in one of the many hospital rooms that was in the west wing of the building. Everything smelled so clean here, and it made my nose ache from the chemicals.

"Mandatory check-up." Eric muttered, inky eyes sliding to his watch, then towards the clock that was nailed to the wall, "Don't make a fuss over the needles, we're already late as it is."

Shudders invaded my train of thought, and I let out a small whine. If there was one thing I hated, it was needles. Not so much the fact that they hurt, but because I didn't like the thought of something inside me like that. They thought that I didn't know about the microchip they had planted in the base of my neck.

But I did. And I swear that sometimes- I can even feel it.

I try my best not to think about it.

"Sorry, I'm late!" Cried out Mary as she bustled into the room, bringing her unwelcome cloud of perfume along with her. I could feel my eyes watering like someone was holding an onion to them. I muttered low under my breath as I tried to hold in my cough, "Let's get started. Six, your arm please!"

Discreetly holding my breath, so that I didn't spit out insults towards her perfume, I held out my arm. I twisted away in vane when she scooted closer to me.

I don't know how I can explain to anyone what it's like. You know when someone walks past you? and you smell their perfume, or when you hug them? It's like that times a hundred. You may as well just spray it in my face.

"Try, and hurry this up Mary. We're already late as it is." Eric muttered, watching me wince at the slight sting of the needle penetrating my skin, and he continued to talk, "Six has become a very busy girl."

It was over before I knew it, and I looked at the small vial that Mary was dispensing my blood into with a focused expression, "Oh, don't I know it!" She chuckled nervously, looking at me, "We're having your blood tested to see if you've matured."

"Matured?" I asked her with an arched brow, and she nodded her head at me, "To see if your biological cells have matured yet." She explained to me with a slight nod.

"Did the males have this done?" I asked her feeling curiosity tickle at my throat, Eric cleared his throat loudly, but Mary ignored him as she turned to me.

"As far as I know, all three of them matured two years ago." Mary informed me in her professional tone that I was well familiarised with.

Her answer threw me off and I gave her an incredulous look, that must have screamed my surprise because she chuckled at me, "Male development is very different compared to female development, Six." Mary revealed automatically, like she was reading it off a script, "Males are, scientifically speaking, the more advanced of your species. You will be a little behind them, most of the time."

"So, there are biological differences between me, and the others?" I questioned swinging my legs from the seat, whilst she wiped the droplet of blood from my arm away.

Mary's eyes sparkled as she spoke, and I could hear the raw passion of a biologist lace her words as she described something, that she truly found fascinating, to me, "Every one of you is different. Both biologically, and emotionally, but you more so." She answered with a nod.