Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Two ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Thirty Two ~

I wanted to stay with Zero.

She had all the answers I was looking for, and was probably the only person who would willingly give them to me. Zero remembered our childhood, things that are suppressed so deeply into my subconscious that I wonder if they're even real.

But those memories that everyone suspects are real. The ones I barely believed in... I thought they were crazy, but Zero said I was with her.

That we were together.

A grunt of pain left me when I dropped from the vent, the fall was short but high. When I landed, there was an echo of my rubber soles colliding against the flooring, and a chill in the air told me where I was; the arena.

The very one that I had directly defied Two in. The lighting was so low that I could barely see anything other than the silhouettes of the exercise equipment.

"HALT!" A voice cried out in the darkness as the doors were flung open, "SUBJECT SIX, STAY PUT!"

The lights flashed on so abruptly that my sensitive eyes, that had adjusted to the darkness, burned with a sharp stinging pain. After crawling through the vents all night, my eyes watered at the glare, and I flung an arm up to shield them as I stumbled in surprise

Totally unsuspecting to be ambushed the moment I touched ground!

"Six! Where have you been all night!?" Hayden's voice boomed through the arena, making me flinch, and I feigned a confused look, "You were supposed to wait in my office, or return back to your room."

Behind Hayden and the armed guards, trailed in Two, Three, and Five. My fellow Splices stared at me as if I were some sort of complicated study they were trying to analyse me.

I could tell by the way that Three's gaze stayed unnervingly locked on me, that he knew l had been up to something. Five just watched me like a confused dog; kind of goofy looking but trying to appear as if he were in the loop.

"What the hell is she doing in here?" I heard him murmur in the distance but was promptly ignored.

Two surprised me the most, because he looked relieved. He exhaled deeply and pursed his full lips together, watching me like I would never be let out of his sight again, but I could tell by looking at his icy eyes that he looked unsure.

His gaze pinged from every guard in the room before they landed back on me, his jaw clenched and his body shifting into a defensive stance, not that they would have even noticed. They were all staring at me.

"I needed to work off some steam." I answered carefully, I was sure that they'd fall for it. My hair was stringy and plastered to my scalp and the sides of my face. Sweat dripped down my neck and made my shirt stick to my back, and I probably smelled awful too. It was great timing for it, "I didn't realize that I was under watch. When did that happen?"

Hayden's features tightened as she inhaled and rubbed a hand across her jaw, "Speaking of which, I need to talk to you about that." Her tone was meant to make me feel at ease but the stress on her face made my muscles tighten.

"Perhaps it would be better for me to do it." Veronica's irritatingly smooth voice echoed through the arena and my body instantly locked as my eyes narrowed, "I am a familiar face, after all."

She swept across the floors in a pair of ridiculously high black heels, like an angel. Her rich hair was twisted into an admittedly pretty knot, and her complexion was enough to make every man in the room take a generous glance at her, Two included.