Mutations: ~ Chapter Forty Three ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Forty Three ~

"Generation X will be the improved batch of Splice's; after you are all terminated."

I wanted to stop, to breathe and understand what Eric was saying but I couldn't. We had to keep moving, because if we stopped then we would be shot, or worse, captured. I was still starstruck at the sight of Eric, of the dark knight who seemed to morph into time and space.

"Terminated?" Two repeated without a trace of fear in his voice, "Why would they kill us if they need us to replicate the program?"

Ander was now armed with a military rifle that he carried with an air of superior knowledge, it made me question his seemingly relaxed composure, "They need your biology; tissue, genes, bone marrow. You would have lived until they drained you of everything essential to being alive and then killed you." He informed us, making no attempt to conceal the gory truth.

"And that's once they were done trying to rewire your mentality; they need loyal to the bone soldiers. Not thinkers but actors." Hayden added holding up a hand before making an odd hand gesture that everyone but us seemed to understand, "It would be easier to do it when you're all mentally bonded, they wanted you vulnerable before they could proceed."

They were using us as testers before they could perfect the vital ingredients to build the perfect solider; someone who was as fast as Five, as good at hunting as I am, resilient like Two and one as aware and enhanced like Three was. Individually, we were useful parts in the key.

But put all our abilities into one person; and you'd have the perfect weapon.

"They wanted brain dead monsters." Five picked on it quickly, we all did, "To tear us into pieces, and only take the useful parts to make something better. Did you know that?"

For a second, Ander didn't know the question was aimed at him. It caused us to slow to a halt as the surprising suspicion swelled through our bond; touching all of us. It infected my thoughts and made me question Eric and Hayden, who both watched me uncertainly.

"Of course, I knew. It's what we've been working to protect you all from." Ander stated furrowing his brow a little, "Everything we have done is to make sure that you survive; to make sure you're safe."

Two kept a calm composure but his icy eyes hardened, "Handlers can betray us; they don't share the same nature as we do." He reminded us, solidifying my suspicions that whatever bond he had shared with Veronica was broken, "How do we know that you're not tricking us?"

If Two, possibly the most loyal to his Handler than all of us doubted their allegiance, then there had to be some rationality into what was being said. Our bond made our minds link together as one, allowed me to feel what my fellow Splices could feel and think.

"You could be locking us up." I stated breaking the tense cloak of silence, "How do we know that you really want to help us, or if you're just using us for your own agenda?"

Eric and Hayden stared at me but they didn't wear the same disbelief that Ander was wearing, instead they looked as if they expected this. Eric rolled his shoulders but I could see the impatience brimming in his eyes.

"You don't." He shocked me by simply stating, "But luckily for you, you can kill us in a heartbeat so I'm not confident that you should be the ones worried."

Five nodded mutely in agreement with that but he notably distanced himself from Ander, a frown marring his features. I was actually surprised when he stepped next to Three instead of Two, but our alpha looked too stoic to even bother conversing with now anyway.