Mutations: Chapter Twenty-Nine

Mutations: 

~ Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ 

"What is wrong with you?"

Five parked himself down across from me as I forced my body upwards with a grunt, sweat poured down my back, making my top stick to my glistening skin.

Today was our turn in the exercise arena and I had a lot of emotions to work off before I drowned in them, or more importantly, before I vented them onto someone else.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded narrowing my gaze at him, pausing my sit-ups for a second with an irritated growl. Five leaned away a little at my noted aggression, "You're avoiding us." He accused without a second thought about it.

A harsh laugh scratched my throat. I bet that was what Two was trying to convince them; that I was up to something. Now, it wouldn't surprise me.

I knew that he was only trying to get close to me so that he could report back to Veronica, and I was not about to fall for his mind games anymore. Nope. If he wanted to play games, then I wanted my half of the board.

"I'm bored." I gritted out rolling onto my stomach and positioning my arms beneath me as I lowered my body onto them with a puff of effort, "All we do it sit and wait, wait to be told to do something. Wait for more tests, wait to be allowed to leave our rooms to eat...wait for Two to say what goes."

Five's head jerked up in surprise at the last one and he eyed me suspiciously, "I knew that something was going on between the two of you." He declared, in a matter of fact tone.

My shoulders tensed but I wasn't willing to give up on my push-ups, I needed this relief before I burst wide open.

"What does that mean?" I demanded hotly, shoving myself up onto my hands and knees with a scowl.

Two was busy across the room, thankfully he was too preoccupied to even notice our conversation. I could smell the sweat that dripped down his salty skin; smooth and flawless as his muscles flexed every time he hoisted himself further up the climbing wall. Too focused to even think about what was happening around him.

I had successfully managed to avoid him all morning after eavesdropping in on his conversation with Veronica last night, simply because I had no idea of what to do.

There was no one I could count on in this place; especially not Five, who looked up to Two like he was some sort of idol, placed on a golden pedestal, and I doubted that Three would even give my theory the time of day.

"Don't trust Veronica..."

Eric's voice shattered through my thoughts like drumming thunder; he knew. He knew that there was something off about her, all this time I had been ignoring Eric's warning, and now what was I supposed to do?

The only person I could trust was gone. But, how did he know? And what did he know? I was desperate to know what was going on. Why did Veronica want to know something about me that even I didn't know?

And why did she want Two to believe that I was a monster?

"You been acting weird around him." Five stated daring me with his gaze to disagree, "You were acting weird this morning. You didn't even finish your first breakfast!"

I didn't have a response for that, I didn't know how to defend myself from anything Five was saying.

All last night, I couldn't even stand the thought of closing my eyes for a second because all I could think about was Two and Veronica plotting against me, and that voice that whispered through my mind.